Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideological or practical

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ideological or practical

I switched to Ubuntu exclusively more than two years ago now, and at the time I decided it was all or nothing, so I wiped Windows from my computers entirely. Now though, there are times that I think I'm missing out on things, such as games for example. I know that isn't important to everyone, but I'm sure as Linux users you know we can feel like second class citizens sometimes. Just see the ParcelForce thread somewhere on the first few pages as an example. This is why I'm considering using other operating systems (that would be Windows or Mac!) to do things I can't do on Ubuntu.

When I started using Ubuntu, I did it because I wanted to learn and try something different than the same old OS I'd always been using. Then I discovered the practical and moral benefits of FOSS, and this has convinced me up until now to resist any desire to change to using something closed and proprietary for some benefit that might give me. But now, I find myself becoming interested in the practicalities. I want to be able to use all the operating systems that are useful to me, and have things work and work well. I imagine I am like a lot of people on this forum, I want to see Ubuntu and Linux succeed, but I also want to be able to do and use anything that I want to on a computer.

You might think I'm thinking to hard about this, and you'd probably be right! Still, I'm sure others have this clash of ideals or realised this change in how they think, right...?

P.S. I'm not sure 'ideological' is the right word to use, since I never think anyone should see an OS as religion. I mean it to literally mean the idea of FOSS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Ideological or practical

Dont feel that you need to explain your need to use an additional OS. Ubuntu/Linux is just a tool, not a religion, though I sometime wonder after reading some of the posts .. lol. Use what you need to get the job done and be at peace with yourself!!
    Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.
    "..What kind of government did you give us?
    A republic, if you're strong enough to keep it.."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ozor Mox View Post
    Now though, there are times that I think I'm missing out on things, such as games for example.
    Imho playing computer games for more than a reasonable amount of time per day is pure escapism.
    Just see the ParcelForce thread somewhere on the first few pages as an example. This is why I'm considering using other operating systems (that would be Windows or Mac!) to do things I can't do on Ubuntu.
    You can of course choose to not stand up for your right, and not raise your voice. You can shrug your shoulders, and do nothing at all when you see injustice in the streets, just like you can turn/run away when websites are only readable/usable for Microsoft product users.

Apart from that there's things like VirtualBox, VMware, Wine, CrossOverLinux to run MS-Windows applications inside Ubuntu.
    Instead of buying more Microsoft products you can buy more RAM, and have MS-Windows controlled in a box.. like VirtualBox.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

if your SOLE purpose of using a 2nd OS is for software compatibility, i would choose dual-booting windows rather than getting a mac. its way cheaper, works with MORE software, and very easy to install side by side with your linux install.

i have a windows7 partition i use for FL studio and xmen legends 2. for everything else, theres ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Angeles View Post
    if your SOLE purpose of using a 2nd OS is for software compatibility, i would choose dual-booting windows rather than getting a mac. its way cheaper, works with MORE software, and very easy to install side by side with your linux install.

i have a windows7 partition i use for FL studio and xmen legends 2. for everything else, theres ubuntu.
    What he said. For me, practicality wins every time. I'm on Ubuntu because it's the best, not because of any moral crusade. It fits my needs perfectly. Occasionally I find a game or other program won't run in Wine and want to use it, so I boot windows or use virtualbox. Not a big problem for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You might think I'm thinking to hard about this, and you'd probably be right!
    Remember that scene in Scanners...
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Interesting how the two opposing points of view I was talking about can already be easily seen on this thread...

I do use a VM for most things, though of course it's no good for games. I would like to dual boot, but I want to install Windows after Ubuntu on a second hard drive without it eating Ubuntu so it's going to require a bit of thought! I most probably won't be buying Windows, but I will be acquiring it legally

I can't wait for when VMs can do 3D stuff.

Imho playing computer games for more than a reasonable amount of time per day is pure escapism.
    Sure, but then I'm not going to be spending more than a "reasonable" amount of time on them anyway...

So all you dual booters, did you have to start with a clean computer and put Windows on first?

Beans

personally I use the operating system which fits my needs. No matter which OS this may be.
    So now its Linux and by chance (K)ubuntu and Mandriva because both do the job like I want it.

If someone would tell me that I have to buy another system so that I can use his stuff to pay him and to feed his life (the parcel-farce) I just laugh and turn around. As we saw in this thread there was another company, offering better service for less money.

If it was for myself, playing games or whatever I would spend the money if I was desparate for it.

So what I want to say is: just do it like it fits your needs. But buying another OS just for using some chargeable services is a little bit strange, imho.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I can't wait for when VMs can do 3D stuff.
    After exclusively using Linux for 2 years, I'm now using Win7 RC as my main OS, with Jaunty in a VirtualBox image with enabled 3D support.

I gotta say, it's damn zippy, especially if your CPU supports virtualization. It starts up as fast as a native installation and with compiz enabled, it feels great.

I once forgot i'm using a virtualized OS and browsed the net for 30 minutes before I realized I could be doing that in windows

edit: granted, the 3D stuff is buggy. Compiz works, so does most of the stuff i've tried, but there's plenty of oddball issues, especially if you do graphics programming (need to run linux natively for that)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver0815 View Post
    So what I want to say is: just do it like it fits your needs. But buying another OS just for using some chargeable services is a little bit strange, imho.
    Of course you are right, and there's no way I would use Windows or Mac because of that reason. I was just giving an example of times when Linux users can be forgotten about. Microsoft have 90% of the market, and Apple control the hardware, but Linux users are left without access to many commercial software apps and games, and drivers for lots of hardware that must instead be reverse engineered, and unable to buy portable computers like laptops and netbooks with Linux preinstalled, without getting a choice of about 2.

</rant>

The situation is of course improving, but we often have to take a hit of convenience to support our OS of choice, or have the practicality of using whatever we want instead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast