Thread: gnome-keybinding-properties doesn't understand super key

Beans

gnome-keybinding-properties doesn't understand super key

Hi,

I've been trying to set some keyboard shortcuts that use the super key (aka the windows key) via gnome-keybinding-properties and not getting anywhere.

gnome-keybinding-properties seems to treat the super keys as non-modifier keys so I can't put in codes like Super+V as the dialog decides I'm done entering my value as soon as I hit the super modifier key.

I also tried editing the same shortcuts via gconf as suggested at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=596961 with no luck. Has the format changed since that thread?

I can get shortcuts working via either method as long as I don't use the super key, but I want to use the super key so this is very frustrating :/

Beans

Re: gnome-keybinding-properties doesn't understand super key

Hi, you received no answer yet, so either it rather difficult or it's plain obvious and we both are blind to it. Anyway, I recommend xbindkeys, a little app that you can use for keybindings (or even keys and mousebuttons combined). After running 'xbindkeys --defaults > $HOME/.xbindkeysrc' it will create the file .xbindkeysrc in your homefolder, in which you can assign key bindings by adding lines like this (first command between "", then indented line with keybinding; super key = mod4):
    Code:
    "gnome-open http://www.ubuntuforums.org"
       mod4 + shift + u
    "gnome-terminal"
      control + dead_grave
    You can also use gui for editing key bindings (install xbindkeys-config, make sure you have NumLock disabled when assigning key bindings or it won't work). There is more to find eg. here, or google it.
    The keys are called like this: Control, Shift, Mod1 (=Alt key), Mod2 (=NumLock key), Mod3 (= CapsLock key), Mod4 (Super/winkey), Mod5 (Scroll).

Beans

You just gave me the answer for getting it working in gconf, thanks!

The correct shortcut for win+r in gconf is "<Mod4>r" not "<Super_L>r" or "<Super>r" like I had been trying.

Beans

Hey, I don't know if this is the right topic for this exactly, but basically i was trying to use the document flip button on my Logitech MX518, to open expo, but i was having difficulty making the .xbindkeysrc work with the super key, i could probably have changed the shortcut for expo, but anyway, i found this after hours of searching:

Code:
    "xte 'keydown Super_L' 'key e' 'keyup Super_L'"
        m:0x0 + b:10
    PS: just for the sake of completeness, you will probably need to follow this guide on how to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or something similar) to allow all of the mouse buttons to be detected: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=606610

Beans

Using <Mod4> in gconf-editor instead of <Super> also worked for me, but in addition I needed to choose one of the options "Hyper is mapped to Win-keys" or "Meta is mapped to Win-keys" instead of the "Default" behavior.
    (The option can be found in gnome-control-center > Keyboardlayout > Options > Alt/Win key behavior.)