Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adobe reader for 64 bit ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Adobe reader for 64 bit ubuntu 9.04

Hi all,
    I wanna install Adobe reader in Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit edition. i saw in some sites that adobe has no 64 bit edition for linux. is it true? if not true, please someone help me by describing the procedure of installing 64 bit adobe reader in UBUNTU 9.04.
    thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Adobe reader for 64 bit ubuntu 9.04

there is no 64bit version. you have 2 choices: 1. go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/ and choose your version and download either the .deb or .bin Adobe Reader or 2. in terminal run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install acroread
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Out of curiosity, why do you specifically need Adobe Reader ? There are several alternatives which you might want to check and a PDF reader installed by default (Evince).
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    ... or 2. in terminal run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install acroread
    But acroread is not in the standard Ubuntu repository, so this will not just work. You can get acroread for 64-bit Ubuntu from the Medibuntu repository. Follow the instructions to add the Medibuntu repository to your sources.list and then enter the apt-get command to install Acrobat Reader.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post
    But acroread is not in the standard Ubuntu repository, so this will not just work. You can get acroread for 64-bit Ubuntu from the Medibuntu repository. Follow the instructions to add the Medibuntu repository to your sources.list and then enter the apt-get command to install Acrobat Reader.
    thanks forgot that as one of the first things I do after install is enable medibuntu. Two sets of eyes are always better than one set!
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Mornedhel View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you specifically need Adobe Reader ? There are several alternatives which you might want to check and a PDF reader installed by default (Evince).
    I'm actually looking for alternatives for Evince as well, so please share if you have any worthwhile. I find the rendering of Evince sometimes strange, and simply have been using Adobe Reader since it better represents my printed versions. Also a small picky is that by default Evince prints the colored boxes to 'bookmarks' in a PDF, probably easy to turn off but I haven't messed around with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bappy004 View Post
    Hi all,
    I wanna install Adobe reader in Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit edition. i saw in some sites that adobe has no 64 bit edition for linux. is it true? if not true, please someone help me by describing the procedure of installing 64 bit adobe reader in UBUNTU 9.04.
    thanks in advance
    Click the medibuntu link in my signature. Follow all the instructions. Acroread will then be in synaptic. However I would not install mozilla-acroread. It has a bug which causes cpu to go high and a bad memory leak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Mornedhel View Post
    Perhaps because the alternatives aren't able to print many of the PDFs out there (for example, the forms from the US IRS)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bkline View Post
    Perhaps because the alternatives aren't able to print many of the PDFs out there (for example, the forms from the US IRS)?
    No need to be like that, it was an honest question, to make sure the OP was aware that Evince was already installed, and wasn't just trying to install Adobe Reader to open normal PDFs when Evince could have done fine.

Now I'm sorry, but I have never come across a PDF Evince wasn't able to render. I will admit that since I have not tried to read every existing PDF, there are bound to be several out there (for instance every PDF with forms, which is still not a lot of PDFs), but my anecdotal evidence contradicts your anecdotal evidence.

Also, I do not consider "the forms from the US IRS" to be "many of the PDFs out there".

This is semi-unrelated and only my opinion (well, mine and a lot of people's as well), but PDF is a *terrible* choice for interactive documents (forms, javascript, etc.). It's a *publishing* medium. Tell your government to use secure online HTML forms instead.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For my uses, I need often to quote from medical article pdfs. Adobe Reader is the only one I've found that can copy from a column w/o including lines from a different column. My Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit needs a pdf reader that can copy from within a column. Is there a 64-bit Ubuntu-worthy alternative to Adobe Reader that can copy from within a column?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast