Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Feats Performed with Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Amazing Feats Performed with Linux

I'm gonna ask a stupid question right here. On the right under our names is

Beans: ##

What does the number mean and how does it increase?
    I like mac?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by galgoz
    I'm gonna ask a stupid question right here. On the right under our names is

Beans: ##

What does the number mean and how does it increase?
    you get a bean for every post you make in any of the technical related forums. basically, every post you make outside of these off-topic ones. the posts you make here dont count

Beans

they refer to your post they go up when you post in forums other than community chat (if that wasn't so I would have a hell of a lot more beans)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by briancurtin
    maybe its just me, but i claim that a computer with no hard drive will do nothing of worth.
    You can easily run Ubuntu on it either with the live cd or as a thin client.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    Nothing quite amazing for me, but I've found that using grep to search and ed / sed to edit stuff via command line, coupled with a few I/O redirection tricks in bash totally amazes any Windows-bound semi-geek and makes them install a Linux distro within two hours
    ok tell me how to do that... I want to impress windows users

anyway, I haven't done much.. I've made a apache server from ubuntu before though...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I had a TV tuner that refused to work in Windows, none of the drivers I tried delivered proper operation. In linux, it worked out of the box, with no need for me to install drivers, and as far as I'm concerned, it worked PERFECTLY. There's a story for all those people who bash linux based on driver support.

-Wild

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WildTangent
    I had a TV tuner that refused to work in Windows, none of the drivers I tried delivered proper operation. In linux, it worked out of the box, with no need for me to install drivers, and as far as I'm concerned, it worked PERFECTLY. There's a story for all those people who bash linux based on driver support.

-Wild
    Yeah I had a sound card that never worked right in windows (even with the manufactures drivers) but worked out of the box with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Bought our daughter a new digital camera for Christmas. A Kodac.

I knew there was some success with Kodacs in Linux. But wanted to be absolutely sure it worked with Ubuntu.

Took it out of its box, before it was wrapped. Took a couple of snapshots, plugged in the camera and was presented with, "would you like to import the photos" Clicked Yes and there they were.

After my daughter got her camera, I showed her it worked in Linux, then she took it to her room. Couldnt do anything with it in Windows XP until she installled the Kodac software. And adaware screamed bloody murder during the install.

I told her that it is a Linux ONLY camera.

My brother got a kick out of that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by AMD64_N_Linux
    Bought our daughter a new digital camera for Christmas. A Kodac.

I knew there was some success with Kodacs in Linux. But wanted to be absolutely sure it worked with Ubuntu.

Took it out of its box, before it was wrapped. Took a couple of snapshots, plugged in the camera and was presented with, "would you like to import the photos" Clicked Yes and there they were.

After my daughter got her camera, I showed her it worked in Linux, then she took it to her room. Couldnt do anything with it in Windows XP until she installled the Kodac software. And adaware screamed bloody murder during the install.

I told her that it is a Linux ONLY camera.

My brother got a kick out of that.
    Haha I like that A linux only Camera thats good I am sad about how much people think that linux cannot handle a lot of hardware but it has handled everything I have thrown at it so far. Granted thats not a fat lot of hardware a few mobos, SAta and normal HDD (even semi broken HHD that windows cannot handle and comlains about), Nvidia and ATI graphic cards USB devices etc the normal run of the mill stuff prety much everything I have used with linux worked out of the box to a fashion a quick tweak here and there and they worked like a charm no feeding my PC with CD after CD of drivers and downloads from here there and everywhere ! But there is only one thing that I have had trouble with and thats my speedtouch usb asdl modem and I know it works under linux I have had it working before but silly me forgot to copy the config files and note down how I got it working etc before reformat of said PC so now I am scratching head tring to work out how I managed to get it working the last time whoops my bad . But the point of this was I liked your camera comment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

By the way there is a few more bits of hardware that I have had working with linux But that last post was just an example now I am no linux guru but I am mighty impressed with linux wished I had started using it sooner the options it opens up is endless oh they joys man I'm sad but hey whatever floats ya boat

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast