Hi all.
I tried to solve this problem for months now, without any success.
Here is the situation:

- I have a Ubuntu Machine, connected to internet via a wifi router (gigaset se551) which has a shared filespace storage.
- The filespace on the router is available as a win share.
- I can access and fully manipulate the share both with windows machines and with my android smartphone (used Astro file manager). I assume therefore that the filespace can be normally accessed.
- My ubuntu machine does not manage to access the winshare.
- I'm running 10.04.3, recently upgraded from 8.04.3 (Hardy Heron) because I thought this problem was a bug in Hardy Heron...

Symptoms:
- If I try to access with Nautilus (Places->Network->Windows Network) I get the classic "Unable to mount location - Failed to retrieve share list from server".
- If I type the IP address in nautilus/Location (smb://ipaddress/) I can see the two shares available on the filespace. If I double click to open any of them I get "Unable to mount location - Failed to retrieve share list from server"
- If I type in nautilus/Location: smb://ipaddress/sharename/ I get "Could not display "smb://ipaddress/sharename/ - Error: Failed to mount Windows share. Please select another viewer and try again".
- If I try Places->Connect to Server... and insert all data, a window pops up asking for the password, but I did not assign any password and the shares are unprotected (all users on the lan can access them). If I click enter without entering any password, I get "Cannot display location "smb://ipaddress/sharename/ - Error: Failed to mount Windows share"
- - If I type in firefox: smb://ipaddress/sharename/ I get a page showing the two partitions, but I cannot go any further.

I tried to follow all suggestions of the initial post of this thread. The ubuntu machine and the router share the same workgroup (it is called WORKGROUP - could this be a problem?).

I don't have a firewall active, this is my iptable:

luca@luca-desktop:/etc/samba$ sudo iptables -L
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem, it will be ignored in a future release.
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
This is smbtree:

luca@luca-desktop:/etc/samba$ smbtree
Enter password:
WORKGROUP
\\SE551 Samba 3.4.7
\\SE551\IPC$ Remote Inter Process Communication
\\SE551\webserv Share Folder
\\SE551\partition1 partition1
Finally I attach the smb.conf. I tried two different ones: first I tried modifying the one which I inherited from the Hardy Heron (which was already creating problems). smb.conf.old.txt
Then I downloaded a simpler one from the net and tried to use it, to no avail. smb.conf.txt
I must highlight that the behaviour of the machine never changed.