Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Just a note: I installed Juanty on a blank hard drive, and immediately could browse shares on Windows XP computers on my wireless network. Places/Network/Windows Network/(workgroupname)/(computer name)/(sharename), (lots of double-clicking) and I was looking at the file list.

The only thing non-standard was enabling "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" on the XP system. Most specifically, I did not change the workgroup name in smb.conf to match the name of the Windows workgroup. I run no firewalls, and do not have Samba installed.

I thought my experience was typical....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Remember to use the IP address of your PC rather than the PC name when connecting, unless you have addedd entries to the /etc/hosts file !!

Been sitting for half-an-hour going through this, then it dawned on me that my UBUNTU PC can't resolve the PC name !!

Used the IP address and it worked immediately.
    Last edited by CBers; July 23rd, 2009 at 09:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by CBers View Post
    Remember to use the IP address of your PC rather than the PC name when connecting, unless you have addedd entries to the /etc/hosts file !!

Been sitting for half-an-hour going through this, then it dawned on me that my UBUNU PC can't resolve the PC name !!

Used the IP address and it worked immediately.
    If you follow the directions listed on the first page under "Problem 3", your Ubuntu computer will be able to resolve host names.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

That means installing winbind correct ?? How does winbind resolve names ??

Now that I can connect via IP address, I am more than happy.

Your main suggestions helped a lot.

I can't believe I'm finding UBUNTU so difficult, considering I work with enterprise unix (HP-UX) every day !!

Still not easy to find what the ubuntu (linux) equivalent to a windows apps is, such as Windows Live (MSN Messenger), Anti-Virus software, TCP Optimizer, disk de-fragger, BlueTooth etc.

Is there a page detailing this ??

I'm only really geting into ubuntu (linux) as I want to use VDPAU on my HTPC (ASRock ION-330).

Plus, if I like it (!!) I'll install on my other PCs/laptops etc.
    Last edited by CBers; July 23rd, 2009 at 10:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CBers View Post
    That means installing winbind correct ?? How does winbind resolve names ??

Now that I can connect via IP address, I am more than happy.

Your main suggestions helped a lot.

I can't believe I'm finding UBUNTU so difficult, considering I work with enterprise unix (HP-UX) every day !!

Still not easy to find what the ubuntu (linux) equivalent to a windows apps is, such as Windows Live (MSN Messenger), Anti-Virus software, TCP Optimizer, disk de-fragger, BlueTooth etc.

Is there a page detailing this ??

I'm only really geting into ubuntu (linux) as I want to use VDPAU on my HTPC (ASRock ION-330).

Plus, if I like it (!!) I'll install on my other PCs/laptops etc.
    As indicated in the howto, Ubuntu is unable to resolve Windows host names, mostly because Windows uses a proprietary method for doing so. One of the many things that the winbind daemon is able to handle is the complexities of Windows name resolution for Linux clients. Winbind is indeed used for much more than just name resolution, but this is nothing to be concerned about unless you're trying to configure your Linux client to join a Windows domain with active directory. While I admit that the winbind daemon is probably overkill for this simple task, it functions quite well in a DHCP environment where servers and clients frequently change IP addresses.

When I first started using Linux, I was coming to the table with more than 25 years of experience with Windows (including MS-DOS). This was probably my biggest setback while learning Linux. I expected things to work in certain ways. Windows ways. And, when they didn't work as I was used to, I grew extremely frustrated. So, while Linux and Unix are closely related, and are compatible in many ways, they are not identical. But, you should have a shorter learning curve than I did.

As for the rest of your questions, they are outside the scope of this thread, but I'll leave you with this. Linux is not Windows, so don't expect to find something like: Linux-app-A == Windows-app-B. You should be looking for Linux applications according to task rather than trying to find Windows equivalents.
    Last edited by dmizer; July 23rd, 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Beans

Has something changed recently in any updates that could've rebroken things?

After several updates and a few reboots, I noticed that I can no longer browse my network at all again on both of my ubuntu machines I've previously fixed. >.<

Beans

Thanks dmizer for a great tutorial. I have a Linkstation NAS that I have been trying to connect to all day long. I do have one problem now, the only way that I can connect to the shares on the NAS is if i disable the firewall entirely. Are there some other ports that I need to open? I have opened the ports you specified in the tutorial.

And how would I add these entries to fstab so that they mount when I boot the computer?
    Last edited by BDNiner; July 26th, 2009 at 02:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro

glave,

There have been some updates to samba. If you allowed the update to replace config files (specifically /etc/samba/smb.conf), you may have to take a look through this howto again to make sure all the settings are in place. Also, double check for firewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by BDNiner View Post
    And how would I add these entries to fstab so that they mount when I boot the computer?
    If you are interested in mounting via /etc/fstab, then you won't need to worry about firewalls. Please see the 2nd link in my sig.

Beans

Smb.conf hasn't changed for me, and firewall is disabled (verified via gui).

Smbclient sees my ubuntu shares still, but browsing the network gets the cannot mount error. I've re-verified everything checked when this first cropped up, but this time everything is still in place.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by glave View Post
    Smb.conf hasn't changed for me, and firewall is disabled (verified via gui).

Smbclient sees my ubuntu shares still, but browsing the network gets the cannot mount error. I've re-verified everything checked when this first cropped up, but this time everything is still in place.
    Did you double check your Windows machines for their firewall configurations as well?

Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast