Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans

Smile Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Thank you very much!!! I followed you guide and I'm finally working!

Beans

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Using a Windows 7 x64 home premium server and have several computers running Ubuntu 10.10 and a couple running Windows 7, one running Vista, a PS3, and a Xoom tablet. All of these computers were able to connect to the windows shares without problem.

Not sure exactly when, but a week or so back, all was working and now nothing but the Windows computers and my PS3 can connect. None of my Ubuntu computers or my Xoom can connect to any shares.

I've followed the entire tutorial on the first post and no luck (I had already done most of it anyway). All of my Ubuntu computers see nothing after I go 'Places/Network/Windows Network'. Trying to connect directly using hostname or IP doesn't work. My Xoom sees the computer when using ES File Explorer but when I click on the server it sits forever at 'Loading: Getting file list...'.

My suspicion is that since the Xoom is also effected, that it's likely a Windows 7 patch that caused my problem and not a Ubuntu issue. Since I'm pretty sure I used my Xoom to connect a week or two ago, I'd guess it's something got released over the last two weeks.

Edit: Forgot to mention that all Windows computers and the PS3 connect without issue.
    Last edited by phane; March 27th, 2011 at 07:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Phane: no change to the router?

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 was released recently, has it been installed?

Beans

I had service pack 1 installed the day it came out and my shares were still working. Some of the computers are connecting via LAN through a switch without any router between them, others are connecting wirelessly through a Linksys E3000 with the firewall, NAT, and DHCP all disabled so it's basically being used as a WAP. None of the clients, wired or wireless, can connect to the windows shares through Ubuntu or Android. I have an old laptop with a broken LCD using IP Cop that's my primary firewall / router, but it's bypassed through the switch for any LAN traffic. Only change to that recently was that I added the net-traffic add-on to IP Cop to see how much I should worry about the supposed wave of bandwidth caps that are coming.

Code:
    Internet <--> Ooma <--> IP Cop <--> Switch <--> LAN
                                           ^
                                           |
                                           v
                                         E3000 <--> WLAN
    Edit: Actually, android can connect now (for w/e reason), and (spontaneously) now I can manually connect using the Connect to Server function, but I still can't browse to it.
    Last edited by phane; March 29th, 2011 at 07:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by phane View Post
    Edit: Actually, android can connect now (for w/e reason), and (spontaneously) now I can manually connect using the Connect to Server function, but I still can't browse to it.
    Double check all your computers (particularly the Windows computers) for interfering firewalls.

Beans

Ok, I've tried steps one 1-3 from the first post. As for step 4, i dont use a firewall, Step 5, this is a server install and I'm not interested in browsing windows shares.

I am running 10.04.2 server, a fresh install, and using webmin to administer.

My smb.conf is attached.

The Win7 and XP machines on the network can see the samba shares and browse the sub directories, but they are unable to write to these shares. (No Permission etc ....)

dmizer has provided the most usefull posts regarding samba shares, and I was able to use this same post a few years ago to get this working, but now I'm stumped.

Thanks for your dedication to helping us noobs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JeffersonDavis33 View Post
    Ok, I've tried steps one 1-3 from the first post. As for step 4, i dont use a firewall, Step 5, this is a server install and I'm not interested in browsing windows shares.

I am running 10.04.2 server, a fresh install, and using webmin to administer.

My smb.conf is attached.

The Win7 and XP machines on the network can see the samba shares and browse the sub directories, but they are unable to write to these shares. (No Permission etc ....)

dmizer has provided the most usefull posts regarding samba shares, and I was able to use this same post a few years ago to get this working, but now I'm stumped.

Thanks for your dedication to helping us noobs.
    What you are trying to do is the exact opposite of what this howto attempts to solve.

First of all, you should double check to make sure that the samba package is actually (for real) installed [sudo apt-get install samba]. Since Ubuntu comes with some samba functionality out of the box, it may look like it's actually installed when it's not.

Secondly, if you are creating a dedicated file server you should probably avoid hosting a share in your user's directory as that could complicate permission settings.

Thirdly, you should have a look at the 1st link in my sig.

Good luck!

Beans

Thanks for the help. You are correct, I am in the wrong thread. I spend so much time reading your threads about Samba issues I got lost and confused.

I will start over with the first link in your sig and see where I end up then.

Do recommend any particular place for the samba shares to avoid unnecessary permissions?

Thanks Again

(now lets see if I can RDP to one of my machines at home then SSH to the server........having a job really gets in the way of my hobbies.....)

Beans

IT Works!. I started over like I mentioned above and it works.

One of my problems was that I was over-thinking the whole Logical Volume and how/where to mount said volumes, with each mount being its own share etc etc etc.

That said, how is the size of the shares that I just created managed? Do they use all the avail space on the Volume Group, or do I indeed need to mount other stuff??

Thanks Again...... Wheeee! it works!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JeffersonDavis33 View Post
    That said, how is the size of the shares that I just created managed? Do they use all the avail space on the Volume Group, or do I indeed need to mount other stuff??
    If you need to manage share size based on user accounts, you may want to look into ldap which will make things much easier to administrate.

There are some great ebox (zentyal) plugins for web based administration. Zentyal is lightyears beyond webmin, so I highly suggest looking into it and dumping webmin.

Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast