Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by Muahdib View Post
    hi all

I have been searching and searching for a howto.. this one is close, and sense I cant find what im looking for I thought I would ask here.

I have ubuntu running on one pc and vista(which I hate) on my wifes pc. I have a printer on my ubuntu system and want to share it over our small home network with her vista machine. is there a howto for that? if not can you help me?

thanks
    Just use CUPS to share your printer, it will work fine with Windows. Samba is too much of a pain.

Here's how to configure the Ubuntu print server: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...Print%20Server
    Here's how to configure the Windows client: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...ient%20Machine

More information: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I have a weird problem, that samba won't work and the shares won't get shown on a windows machine (I tried on both XP and W7) until I log into SSH and do "sudo service samba restart". I have even tried disabling in on bootup and adding a line to rc.local, but it still doesn't work until I restart it manually in a shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by evilmonk View Post
    I have a weird problem, that samba won't work and the shares won't get shown on a windows machine (I tried on both XP and W7) until I log into SSH and do "sudo service samba restart". I have even tried disabling in on bootup and adding a line to rc.local, but it still doesn't work until I restart it manually in a shell.

Your Windows machines also have to be set up for networking or the Linux machines can not see them.

I run 4 Linux machines, 2 windows machines, 5 printers and can and DO move information and files between them all the time and can print to any printer from any computer. (The key is making ALL computers members of the SAME network .. default for Windows is MSHome and default for Linux is Workgroup. You have to change one set to match the other or they can not talk to each other.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    Your Windows machines also have to be set up for networking or the Linux machines can not see them.

I run 4 Linux machines, 2 windows machines, 5 printers and can and DO move information and files between them all the time and can print to any printer from any computer. (The key is making ALL computers members of the SAME network .. default for Windows is MSHome and default for Linux is Workgroup. You have to change one set to match the other or they can not talk to each other.)
    I have Ubuntu Karmic running as a file/print server, and the rest of the machines are with Windows, and they all use the same workgroup ("HOME"). The problem isn't that Windows machines cannot see the server at all, but with Samba not being properly run after I reboot or power on my server. After I manually restart samba via shell everything is working normally. Looks like samba is having some trouble with rights.
    I hate to reinstall things after I have almost successfully configured them (the shares are working and user passwords are set), but it looks like this is the only way of solving the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I just recently installed Karmic and am having problems with Samba. I followed all the steps in your initial post but I'm still not able to connect from a Windows computer to my Ubuntu computer. I can connect from Ubuntu to Windows without any problem though. The problem is that when I try to connect to the Samba server, it asks me for a username and password like it used to and then it gives me the error "More data is available." If I do it from the command line it gives me the error "System error 234 has occurred."

I did some troubleshooting on my own and found that Karmic appears it may only be listening on an IPv6 line. Here are the relevant lines from netstat -an:

Code:
    udp        0      0 192.168.15.100:137      0.0.0.0:*
    udp        0      0 192.168.15.100:138      0.0.0.0:*                          
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:138             0.0.0.0:*
    tcp6       0      0 :::139                  :::*                    LISTEN
    tcp6       0      0 :::445                  :::*                    LISTEN
    Now in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1317225 it was suggested to add lines into the hosts file but I tried that and it didn't work. Besides, my router is my DNS server so I don't normally use the hosts file for name resolution. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by euphgeek; November 12th, 2009 at 10:49 PM.

Beans

I had the same problem and the ipv6 issue got cleared out after getting a hint from Fedora forums:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...2&postcount=15

Since I already had interfaces = 192.168.0.0/24 set up, just enabling "bind interfaces only = true" did the trick for me.

Hopefully it helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Just use CUPS to share your printer, it will work fine with Windows. Samba is too much of a pain.

Here's how to configure the Ubuntu print server: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...Print%20Server
    Here's how to configure the Windows client: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...ient%20Machine

More information: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu
    thank you much joy
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge..." Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Crandes View Post
    I had the same problem and the ipv6 issue got cleared out after getting a hint from Fedora forums:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...2&postcount=15

Since I already had interfaces = 192.168.0.0/24 set up, just enabling "bind interfaces only = true" did the trick for me.

Hopefully it helps.
    I tried the solutions at your link but they didn't work. I'm still getting the exact same errors.

Beans

Do you still see tcp6 entries when you type netstat -an?

If not, then I assume you have other issues causing the problem.

UPDATE: I noticed on my other server that apparently the 9.10 upgrade has changed security setting to 'SHARE' instead of 'user' which was causing the 'More data is available' problem. Changing that back to 'security = user' cleared the problem out.
    Last edited by Crandes; November 14th, 2009 at 08:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I never have been able to get Ubuntu 9.10 to connect with my Win7 machine. Today I checked for updates and there was a boat load of Samba updates......cool, I'm thinking, maybe we'll get this working now..... What a pipe dream that was. Not only can I still not connect to the Win7 Machine it broke the working share I had with another machine that has XP. I went back through the first post and made sure all the changes that originally got XP to be seen and accessed from the Ubuntu machine, and they are all still there. Now I'm totally hosed as far as this Ubuntu box sharing anything with Windows on it.......

In typical Linux fashion, it seems a concerted effort is made by those doing the development to make things as difficult as possible.....
    eVGA X58 Classified E759, i7 920, G.Skill Perfect Storm DDR3 2000 3X2gb, 2X eVGA GTX260 SSC SLI, Lian-LI PC75B, Corsair TX850W, 2X WD Black 640gb Raid0 Win7, Seagate 320gb Linux Mint 9, LG GH22LS30 DVDRW

Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast