Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Thanks to Marco over at: http://chat.meta.stackoverflow.com/rooms/181/ubuntu

Here is the package I was missing: sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends

http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello, dmizer!
    I've been lurking on this thread for some time: fascinating reading, and a grand display of kindness and civility it is. I've implemented all of your Post No. 1 tips, and several more besides. I've now graduated to the point where I have a (possibly) interesting query:
    I'm running Lucid and have two other Win2k boxes, all wired into my router. I can open a shared folder on one Win2k box, but not the other. I get the error:

Unable to mount location
    DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

Have you any pointers for this, please?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Flos Headford View Post
    Hello, dmizer!
    I've been lurking on this thread for some time: fascinating reading, and a grand display of kindness and civility it is. I've implemented all of your Post No. 1 tips, and several more besides. I've now graduated to the point where I have a (possibly) interesting query:
    I'm running Lucid and have two other Win2k boxes, all wired into my router. I can open a shared folder on one Win2k box, but not the other. I get the error:

Unable to mount location
    DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

Have you any pointers for this, please?
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Dunno for sure how that happens when attempting to mount a Samba share. It's possible that the error is incorrect. Either way, make sure your machine is up to date:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get full-upgrade
    Also try rebooting.

Beans

Thanks for the in depth solutions, but most of them seem to be targeted at issues between Ubuntu and Win. What about problems with Ubuntu browsing Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by turqoisehex View Post
    Thanks for the in depth solutions, but most of them seem to be targeted at issues between Ubuntu and Win. What about problems with Ubuntu browsing Ubuntu?
    This is a problem I've yet to solve reliably. I'm open to suggestions. Generally, I would suggest using an alternate file sharing method for sharing files between Ubuntu servers and clients. For example, something like NFS is much less finicky, and requires far less time to configure than Samba.

Alternatively, you can use the CIFS mount method as outlined in the 2nd link in my sig.
    Last edited by dmizer; September 29th, 2010 at 07:15 AM.

Beans

I read your sig links #2 and #4, both were very useful and well written. Thanks again ^__^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

dmizer,

I have 2 problems with browsing shares between Ubuntu and Windows.

I have 6 nodes on my home network.
    3 Desktop PCs, 1 XP Pro, 1 - Jaunty, 1 - Lucid
    3 Laptops, 2 XP Pro, 1 Win7 Home edition.

Problem 1
    I can't browse any shares unless the lucid machine is on. No shares show up on the Win7 machine either.

Problem 2.
    I followed your guide on setting up Win7 shares, but still can't browse them from the Ubuntu machines.
    I can however browse the shares from the XP machines.

Any help is appreciated
    Last edited by WildeBeest; November 7th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WildeBeest View Post
    dmizer,

I have 2 problems with browsing shares between Ubuntu and Windows.

I have 6 nodes on my home network.
    3 Desktop PCs, 1 XP Pro, 1 - Jaunty, 1 - Lucid
    3 Laptops, 2 XP Pro, 1 Win7 Home edition.

Problem 1
    I can't browse any shares unless the lucid machine is on. No shares show up on the Win7 machine either.
    Have you configured the Lucid machine to be the domain master browser? If that's the case, then this is expected behavior. The same could be true if your Lucid box is also acting as a local DNS server or as a NAT gateway.

Problem 2.
    I followed your guide on setting up Win7 shares, but still can't browse them from the Ubuntu machines.
    I can however browse the shares from the XP machines.

Any help is appreciated
    Are you able to connect to the Win7 shares by going to Places > connect to server ... and manually entering the Win7 connection information? While I understand that this is not as desirable as browsing the shares, it's better than nothing and could give me a better idea of what might be wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    Have you configured the Lucid machine to be the domain master browser?  If that's the case, then this is expected behavior. The same could be  true if your Lucid box is also acting as a local DNS server or as a NAT  gateway.
    How do I tell? I configured Samba the same as my Jaunty machine. Only my router should be the DNS server.

Code:
    Are you able to connect to the Win7 shares by going to Places >  connect to server ... and manually entering the Win7 connection  information? While I understand that this is not as desirable as  browsing the shares, it's better than nothing and could give me a better  idea of what might be wrong.
    This doesn't work either. I enter the same user name/password I use to logon to the Win7 machine.

Beans
    Distro

How do I tell? I configured Samba the same as my Jaunty machine. Only my router should be the DNS server.
    If you had, you would know. It's not a simple matter, so I have honestly no idea why nothing would work on any machine unless the Lucid box is turned on. Perhaps if you posted the /etc/samba/smb.conf file from the Lucid box, it may shed some light on that.

This doesn't work either. I enter the same user name/password I use to logon to the Win7 machine.
    Try logging on as user guest, and no password.

If that doesn't work then double check for any firewalls or an anti-virus which may be interfering with the connection.

Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast