Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Then try to browse to your network share in nautilus (type smb://OC999/movies for example). Then if you still get an error, check the output in the terminal to see if it gives more information.
    thats what I tried , I'm not even sure if this is even a network related problem anymore .. its more like my nautilus is screwed up and won't work with smb:// commands ( neither with ftp ) because for some reason it adds /home/oc in front of it .. result is :
    »/home/oc/smb:/OC999/movies« could not be found.
    same happens when I try to open a connection to an ftp ( ftp://user@server.com:80 ) .. just adds my home directory to the line.
    also when I click on places and then computer ... it tells me that computer places are not available ?
    do I have to reinstall ubuntu or do you have any advice on how to fix this problem ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well, that's a first. Something is definitely not configured correctly. Though it's better to fix things rather than reinstalling, if reinstalling is an option for you, then it might be quicker than trying to figure out what's wrong (I don't know).

Otherwise, you can try opening a thread in the General section regarding your Nautilus issue.

Beans
    Distro

Well, that's a first. Something is definitely not configured correctly. Though it's better to fix things rather than reinstalling, if reinstalling is an option for you, then it might be quicker than trying to figure out what's wrong (I don't know).

Otherwise, you can try opening a thread in the General section regarding your Nautilus issue.
    I'll try asking in launchpad.net , if I don't get a solution there I'll have to reinstal,l but anyways thanks for trying and aslso thanks for the tutorial!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Great job on this topic! One note; I tried all the steps with no joy then tried a reboot (old Windows habit) and all of a sudden all was well!

I only wish now I had rebooted earlier. My problem was the "Unable to mount shares issue" and now I'm not sure exactly which step solved the problem.

Regardless, thanks again!!

Beans

Re: [8.10] I did sumpin bad, now it won't see Winboxes

I double-checked that everything was as it ought to be according to your tutorial, opened up Thunar and lo and behold, all the machines were there (including one that I didn't realize was turned on). I was even able to browse through the shared directory in the test machine.

Then something went awry. I tried moving up a level in Thunar and got a warning "Transport endpoint is not connected." From that point on that's all I get. It won't even display the workgroup.

Looking for solutions I saw this first: http://threebit.net/mail-archive/samba/msg01516.html
    But as best as I can tell from Wireshark that's not the problem at all.

Then I saw this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mb/+bug/198351
    I've seen symptoms of this before (the question marks in the directory listing, for example).
    Somebody notes (2008-11-17) that Dmik's workaround works on Xubuntu 8.10 (which I am using). Noticed it was reversible so I thought I'd try the manual downgrade https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...51/comments/16)... but it tells me "Package not available in this suite."
    Okay, reading on there is discussion of libsmbclient not being thread safe, and
    please update SMBNetFS package to latest git version. It does not contain the bug described here due to libsmbclient isolation in separate process.
    Except that I do not have smbnetfs installed. ???
    Last edited by billswan; June 28th, 2009 at 10:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro

billswan, I moved your post here since it relates to this tutorial and not the CIFS mount tutorial.

Does the problem persist after a reboot? Please post the output of:
    Code:
    smbtree

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by billswan View Post
    I double-checked that everything was as it ought to be according to your tutorial, opened up Thunar and lo and behold, all the machines were there (including one that I didn't realize was turned on). I was even able to browse through the shared directory in the test machine.

Then something went awry. I tried moving up a level in Thunar and got a warning "Transport endpoint is not connected." From that point on that's all I get. It won't even display the workgroup.

Looking for solutions I saw this first: http://threebit.net/mail-archive/samba/msg01516.html
    But as best as I can tell from Wireshark that's not the problem at all.

Then I saw this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mb/+bug/198351
    I've seen symptoms of this before (the question marks in the directory listing, for example).
    Somebody notes (2008-11-17) that Dmik's workaround works on Xubuntu 8.10 (which I am using). Noticed it was reversible so I thought I'd try the manual downgrade https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...51/comments/16)... but it tells me "Package not available in this suite."
    Okay, reading on there is discussion of libsmbclient not being thread safe, and
    Except that I do not have smbnetfs installed. ???

I had the same issues as many of the posts. I checked the differences between the 8.10 and 9.04 software loads and found that gvfs-backends was not loaded. I loaded it and that did not fix the problem. So I loaded the samba4 software. Now everything works fine for me. Try uninstalling ALL samba related software using synaptic. Then load these packages:

samba4-clients
    samba4-common
    libsmbclient0
    libwbclient
    nautilus-share
    gvfs-backends

I used the maintainers smb.conf file when prompted. I also changed the Workgroup in the smb.conf file. That was the only change. Now I am able to connect to all my network shares (Linux and Windows). Hope this fix work for you too. Good luck.

Bruce Dudek

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bdudek View Post
    I used the maintainers smb.conf file when prompted. I also changed the Workgroup in the smb.conf file.
    These two points are extremely important, and most likely what fixed your problem.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks dmizer ....
    you have no idea the hours that I have spent trying to solve this issue with Ubuntu (and ALL the other distros) not able to see Windows shares, especially on a W2K system.

Solution 2 fixed it instantly.

This was almost to the stage of a deal breaker with Linux, I need the access to Windows unfortunately but want to move forward.

Linux in general for its capabilities on older equipment, (I've got lots of it )
    I am running Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Mint (all based on 9.04)
    Drifting off-topic but Mint seems to be coming out top at the minute for me..

Thanks for the great solution.

D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    billswan, I moved your post here since it relates to this tutorial and not the CIFS mount tutorial.

Does the problem persist after a reboot? Please post the output of:
    Code:
    smbtree
    Hi,
    thanks for all your work

I have followed step by step the tutorial,and I can see the shared folder in vista and vista can print from my jaunty, but I can't see the files inside the shared folder in vista.It always show :'Failed to mount windows share'.

Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast