Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

You should probably post this as its own thread (complete with the items above discussed) so we can try to get you help from the wider community. Link here so anyone interested can follow it.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gdea73 View Post
    wow, different problem
    I can access shares via IP address but I can't via machine name. I didn't change anything in my smb.conf and it was working 2 days ago ...
    This is my problem. I have a Vista machine connected to a router that also has a Linux Mint machine connected to it. A printer is connected to the Mint computer. The Mint computer can access all the files I want from the Vista machine. Vista can print to the machine connected to the Mint box. Vista can access the Mint machine's files/folders via IP address or as a mapped network drive, but cannot recognize the Mint machine on the network. It sees a device but only calls it "unknown device". I've done all the steps on the first page. Any further suggestions on how to resolve this?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Adding to my investigation, looking into dmesg, I see the following every time that I attempt to list the windows share contents from the linux box:

Code:
    CIFS VFS: Send error in FindClose = -9

I've been through every permutation of permissions and security on the windows machine, and nothing changes the share state. The only change I can make is using the 'noserverino' option in the mount syntax.

This is thoroughly frustrating.

Beans

Smile Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

no longer participating in ubuntuforums.org
    Last edited by MarkieB; April 16th, 2012 at 12:58 AM.

Beans

I've got a bit to add. I was having share browsing issues too (failed to retrieve share list from server). I found my solution in adding the samba server, and any other machines in the network, to the /etc/hosts file of the client. IP then hostname:

example
    192.168.1.xxx nattyMachine

I happened to come across this suggestion on a fedora forum, just thought it should be added to this howto. I have an all linux network, NFS works very well but I find samba faster at times.
    AMD FX-8120. 8GB DDR3 1866. Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

Computing is fun again.

Beans

I have followed all the suggestions to the letter but I don't see the Samba server on the Microsoft Windows Network. I only see the other windows boxes. I can share files by using the Run \\sambabox or mapping the drive using \\sambabox\share but I would like to be able to see the samba box in the list.
    Is it because the sambox is on a static IP of 65.x.x.x and the windows machines are on the 192.168.x.x network? How can I get around that problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MATilley View Post
    This is thoroughly frustrating.
    I'm with you, I'm having this same issue. The FindClose is a kernel error when listing folder contents. I found old references to this error here (not a fix for our issue I think):

http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux...ry/000078.html

And then of course I found your post.. I'm running linux-2.6.32-31 here. I don't know if downgrading would correct the issue, or if that would even be possible now.

Are you trying to mount from a Windows 7 box?
    Last edited by seth3d; May 8th, 2011 at 11:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by seth3d View Post
    ...And then of course I found your post.. I'm running linux-2.6.32-31 here. I don't know if downgrading would correct the issue, or if that would even be possible now.
    I'm using that kernel on my laptop. No problem sharing a folder, or accessing other Windows and Linux shares.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    No problem sharing a folder, or accessing other Windows and Linux shares.
    It's not the mounting that's the problem, it's accessing all of the files which is an issue. Other than files not being available it works perfectly. My issue is occurring in a folder with over 1,000 files in many sub-folders.

Try mounting a large file share, browse or list all of the directories with 'ls -laR', and then run the following to see if you are really *not* having any issues.

Code:
    grep FindClose /var/log/kern.log
    If it comes back without anything you can proudly say you are awesome with much awesomeness and you don't know what our problem is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Update: I've upgrade to 10.10 Maverick with kernel 2.6.35-28 and I'm still getting the error.

Code:
    May  9 12:17:03 ubuntu-desktop kernel: [  212.494035] CIFS VFS: Send error in FindClose = -9
    I'm currently upgrading to 11.04 to see if I can upgrade past the issue...

Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast