Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    Have you tried forcing the permissions to inherit downward on the Windows box?
    Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure quite how I would do that, if I am not already. Here is a sample line from my autofs.foo script:

Code:
    MyShare1    -fstype=cifs,username=SERVER/myname,password=mypass,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777    ://SERVER/MyShare1/
    And thanks to the both of you, dmizer and jamesisin, for your attention and interest in solving the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I don't have a Windows box in front of me but it's something like this:

1. Open the Preferences dialog for the root folder of the share.
    2. Move to the Permissions tab.
    3. Click on the Advanced button.
    4. Click on the button which talks about propegating the permissions to all child objects.
    5. Ok your way back out.

Let me know if that's totally useless and I'll get on a Windows machine.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I don't have a Windows box in front of me but it's something like this:

1. Open the Preferences dialog for the root folder of the share.
    2. Move to the Permissions tab.
    3. Click on the Advanced button.
    4. Click on the button which talks about propegating the permissions to all child objects.
    5. Ok your way back out.

Let me know if that's totally useless and I'll get on a Windows machine.
    That was not totally useless, though on Windows 7 it was under the Security tab:

1. Open folder properties.
    2. Click on Security tab.
    3. Click on Advanced button.
    4. Highlight appropriate user account and click 'Change Permissions' button.
    5. Check the box of 'Replace all child objects with inheritable permissions from this object'

Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference in browsing from the linux machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Double check all your computers (particularly the Windows computers) for interfering firewalls.
    I have no third party firewall software running on my LAN and I tried disabling the Windows Firewall on the server altogether, no luck. Ubuntu is reporting it's firewall as disabled (as per the 1st post instructions). If my windows computer were firewalling samba connections, android wouldn't be able to connect and I wouldn't be able to ever manually connect to the shares either.

Now, Ubuntu won't even manually connect.

Correction: Ubuntu will manually connect using IP address instead of Hostname. After that is mounted, it'll mount properly by hostname as well (but I still can't browse to it under Windows Network). If I unmount everything from the server, trying to connect by hostname fails again. The error I get is:

Cannot display location "smb://phane@a64-3200/shared/"
    DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

The error pops up IMMEDIATELY after I attempt to connect, so I don't think it's an actual timeout.

FYI, the hostname for this computer is listed under hosts under my IP Cop router/firewall, so Linux can see it without using WINS, and I can ping using the hostname just fine.
    Last edited by phane; April 3rd, 2011 at 08:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by phane View Post
    FYI, the hostname for this computer is listed under hosts under my IP Cop router/firewall, so Linux can see it without using WINS, and I can ping using the hostname just fine.
    From everything I've read, including the following excerpt from the samba manual, you cannot use samba with DNS unless you have an AD controller. This means that even though you can ping by hostname as a result of a correctly working DNS server, you will still be unable to browse samba shares by name unless you use NetBIOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by samba docs
    Use of raw SMB over TCP/IP (No NetBIOS layer) can be done only with Active Directory domains. Samba is not an Active Directory domain controller: ergo, it is not possible to run Samba as a domain controller and at the same time not use NetBIOS. Where Samba is used as an Active Directory domain member server (DMS) it is possible to configure Samba to not use NetBIOS over TCP/IP. A Samba DMS can integrate fully into an Active Directory domain, however, if NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled, it is necessary to manually create appropriate DNS entries for the Samba DMS because they will not be automatically generated either by Samba, or by the ADS environment.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    From everything I've read, including the following excerpt from the samba manual, you cannot use samba with DNS unless you have an AD controller. This means that even though you can ping by hostname as a result of a correctly working DNS server, you will still be unable to browse samba shares by name unless you use NetBIOS.
    I've done it before... it was working before... as I said, it was (now) 3 weeks ago that it all stopped working. I'm not sure if IP Cop functions as an AD controller, it is Linux and has a Hosts file in which my server is listed and my server has a fixed IP address. Regardless, it should let me browse to it through Windows Network as it did even before I had IP Cop as a firewall and DNS/DHCP server. Connecting to a samba share using hostname functionality isn't something I'm looking to accomplish as a goal, it's merely something I'm using to describe the issues I'm having in hopes of being able to browse to it. I have several linux computers and several windows shares (including a printer) and doing symlinks to them all would be laborious to say the least.
    Last edited by phane; April 4th, 2011 at 05:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

It's probably your router. Try rebooting your router. Which firmware are you running there?
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

It's probably your router. Try rebooting your router. Which firmware are you running there?
    Facepalm....

Not that I'm trying to stray people away, this is a solution I'd give to a lot of people myself, however I've mentioned a number of times that I'm running IP Cop as my router. There is no firmware to download. It's running on a 1ghz laptop with a broken LCD. For the hell of it, since I can't remember rebooting it, I went ahead and did just that. No result.

A tracert from windows shows that I go direct to the server without touching the firewall/router (iow I go through the switch as drawn previously), but traceroute in linux just times out... any idea if that's related?
    Last edited by phane; April 4th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro

That's normal behavior, typically. I don't know specifically about IPCop, but sometimes these issues can be traced back to the router being finicky. Any chance you can connect directly to the server via a cross-over cable or even a dumb hub?
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

Code:
    Internet <--> Ooma <--> IP Cop <--> Switch <--> LAN
                                           ^
                                           |
                                           v
                                         E3000 <--> WLAN
    Already doing that. I tried unplugging IP Cop from the switch to be certain, no real change. I could connect manually using hostname this time (interesting, considering ping to hostname no longer works with IP Cop unplugged), but no other change.

Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast