Page 42 of 61 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Had to register just to post here. Thank you SO MUCH for this thread, Dmizer, and the rest. I was lucky, I found this page pretty quick after my first day wrestling with this issue. While I don't have it all going perfectly, (and I seriously doubt ANYONE does), it now works reliably almost all the time, and I can now browse my shares via Network in Nautilus. Oddly, xsmbrowser shows nothing at all under WINS, but both my workstations now show up in Samba Config there.

In the end, the easiest way for me was to use the hosts file to just permanantly assign those addresses to the machines. Wish it hadn't take me 3 on and off days of wrestling, but I am a very happy camper right now.

So, in short, once again, a very big THANK YOU for this thread. I will be sure to keep my eyes open here for future developments!

Oh, and a big tip you had some pages back that helped: the line

dns proxy = no

In this thread, you see it both commented, and uncommented, and if you hadn't made it very clear some pages back that that should have the ; in front, I'd still be wrestling with this. Takes two reboots for it to show for me, but if I don't put a ; in front of that line, the whole thing breaks, and I get nothing at all. With the ; there, it works, though it takes a few full reboots for some reason to settle in. Strange, but...for me...true.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot for this thread, problem 3 solved my host browsing issues.

I'm wondering why this was necessary on Lucid Lynx (had the issue on two computers) and not on Karmic Koala (worked out of the box).

Is this a bug or a feature in Lucid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by fhd View Post
    Thanks a lot for this thread, problem 3 solved my host browsing issues.

I'm wondering why this was necessary on Lucid Lynx (had the issue on two computers) and not on Karmic Koala (worked out of the box).

Is this a bug or a feature in Lucid?
    As you can see from the date of my post and from the date of my other samba howto, this has been an ongoing issue since I started using Ubuntu back in the Hoary days. Frankly, I don't know why some machines can do it and some can't.

In this case, it's possible that both machines are trying to be the domain master browser. Here's some more information on that: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...-browsing.html
    Last edited by dmizer; July 5th, 2010 at 02:51 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Thanx alot for posting this.... I'm a complete newbie and just installed lucid lastnight...looks great cnat wait to play with it.

Now I can see my Vista laptop on my Ubuntu desktop and access files and move them out of my laptop files.

First I followed these steps:
    http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com...cid-10-04-lts/

Then I found your site when I got the following message "'Failed to retrieve share list from server' "

The only issue I'm having is that I cant access my Ubuntu desktop from my Vista laptop...
    I was hoping to be able to empty out my laptop and keep the files on the desktop ( such as photos,videos...etc ) so I can access them from the Desktop when needed...

I can drop them into the public folder of vista laptop from Ubuntu desktop, but I would love to be able to access them from the laptop without having to go to the other room...lazy.. yeah I know.

Any info you could give me to resolve that issue...or someplace to refer me to?

any info will be greatly appreciate it.

If you need me to do something to help yopu please let me know how to do it... like I said im just a two day old user.

Thanks again.

Beans

Thanks dmizer, Fix #2 did the trick for me!!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by googlo View Post
    The only issue I'm having is that I cant access my Ubuntu desktop from my Vista laptop...
    This thread is dedicated to solving problems with Ubuntu accessing Windows. If you need help with Windows accessing Ubuntu, you'll need to start a new thread.

Feel free to leave a link here to your new post and I'll try to take a look!

Beans

Wink Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Dmizer,

Great Job!
    This solved my issues.
    Bill and Nick separated at birth. Only to meet again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Looks that way for Lucid:
    Code:
    $ aptitude search samba4
    p   samba4                          - LanManager-like file server for Unix (vers
    p   samba4-clients                  - client utilities from Samba 4             
    p   samba4-common-bin               - Samba 4 common files used by both the serv
    p   samba4-dev                      - tools for extending Samba                 
    p   samba4-testsuite                - test suite from Samba 4

It could be a couple of things. Re-check for a firewall while using Ubuntu wirelessly. Also take a look at your router settings, there could be a wireless security setting interfering with file sharing (I realize that you have an XP working wirelessly, but it can't hurt to check).
    Yep, it was the router, a D-Link 524 Rev. E. Its DHCP became flaky and was not updating leases. Rebooting cured that, and after a while it was well-behaved again.
    Last edited by coyotearms; July 24th, 2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I used to have this folder, of which I shared, now I don't... so how do I remove it?
    I typed in
    Code:
    net usershare info
    Code:
    info_fn: file /var/lib/samba/usershares/streaming is not a well formed usershare file.
    info_fn: Error was Path is not a directory.
    Last edited by Shalmainia; July 24th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Shalmainia View Post
    I used to have this folder, of which I shared, now I don't... so how do I remove it?
    Perhaps this thread may help you in finding what's holding things up: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1186877

I really know very little about net usershares.

Page 42 of 61 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast