Thread: Internet

Beans

Internet

Hello Out There,

I am currently using Ubuntu 8.04, a very good open source operating system. I would like to know what I have to do to secure my wireless internet connection. I want to prevent others from using my internet for free. My internet is very slow because of this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Internet

Quote Originally Posted by nigel_salvador View Post
    Hello Out There,

I am currently using Ubuntu 8.04, a very good open source operating system. I would like to know what I have to do to secure my wireless internet connection. I want to prevent others from using my internet for free. My internet is very slow because of this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Do you use a router?

I would start with WPA/WPA2 encryption with a strong password

Beans

I currently use a DI-524 Wireless Router however, I am a bit unfamiliar with setting a password with WPA/WPA 2 encryption using Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by nigel_salvador View Post
    I currently use a DI-524 Wireless Router however, I am a bit unfamiliar with setting a password with WPA/WPA 2 encryption using Ubuntu 8.04
    This seems to be a good explanation of how to set up your router: http://www.howtodothings.com/compute...-di-524-router

As for your wireless network interface I think Ubuntu 8.04 is similar to Ubuntu 9.04, use System>Preferences>Network Connections select the 'Wireless' tab, select it, choose Edit and then Wireless Security then enter the same WPA password as what is used for your router.
    Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz/ 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM/ nVidia 9600GT 512MB/ Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    That fuzzy feeling in your head is your brain working, thanks to Linux!

Beans

Thank you.

I am having a problem. Using the admin username and leaving the password blank does not work. Can you suggest anything to reset the password. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

try other way round

blank user and admin password

You should change these defaults if you gain access
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.