Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Well the main reason I switched to Ubuntu is so I can setup my layout the way I would like it to look and really make it my own thats why I have been so up on getting fluxbox going so I can start to customize my windows and have that transparent look to them.

Beans

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Quote Originally Posted by haiyun211 View Post
    Well the main reason I switched to Ubuntu is so I can setup my layout the way I would like it to look and really make it my own thats why I have been so up on getting fluxbox going so I can start to customize my windows and have that transparent look to them.
    That is admirable, but check the dates on any tutorial you follow to make sure it applies to the version of Ubuntu you're using (April 2009 or newer).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the advice I installed it the way of "sudo apt-get install fluxbox" and have not found anything to take me from here.

Beans

Thanks for the advice I installed it the way of "sudo apt-get install fluxbox" and have not found anything to take me from here.
    You have to log out, then from the login screen, choose Fluxbox under the Sessions menu.

Or, enjoy the Gnome desktop that is the Ubuntu default for at least a day or two.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks that worked great now I cant figure out how to connect to my wireless from flux box and so I switched back to gnome to do some research. Do you know of any good detailed websites on how to get started on fluxbox or maybe if you would not mind helping me its up to you but thanks for your help so far. I hate being a newb.

Beans

http://fluxbox.org
    http://fluxbox-wiki.org

man pages for fluxbox and fluxstyle. In a terminal, run:

Code:
    man fluxbox
    and
    Code:
    man fluxstyle
    Press 'q' when you are done reading the man pages.

I don't use wireless, so I can't help with that. However, there are most likely some posts about it which you could find by searching the forums. Good luck.

If you have more fluxbox-related questions, it might be a good idea to ask them in the Desktop Environments forum. More people will see your question there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks man that will help alot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

First off, old post... but deserves a bump. Tutorial helped me out alot in trying to find out why the fluxbox package (in the karmic repo's) seems to take ages to load up (almost 40 seconds!),

Just downloaded the 1.1.1 tarball and compiled with the "--disable-xmb" param, sped it up to about 3 seconds from gdm!

Thanks that worked great now I cant figure out how to connect to my wireless from flux box and so I switched back to gnome to do some research. Do you know of any good detailed websites on how to get started on fluxbox or maybe if you would not mind helping me its up to you but thanks for your help so far. I hate being a newb.
    You need to use "nm-applet --sm-disable &" in your ~/.fluxbox/startup to enable wireless, at least, it works for me.

@op thanks for tutorial.
    You are just a puppet, you have no heart... and cannot feel any pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Fluxbox the fastest

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425