Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Beans

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Quote Originally Posted by konza View Post
    Well, I am having trouble getting fluxbox into the start menu. Distro:Hardy I've installed fluxbox every possible way. Synaptic,get-apt and no starting FB to be found. Lastly I completely removed it via Synaptic and reinstalled it the same way. Still nothing in the start menu. Redsquirrel, following your help text elsewhere the following is as far as i can get. It looks to me like everything that should be there is but still no fluxing luck.LOL Am I missing something or what?

konza@konza-laptop:~$ dpkg -l fluxbox
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-==============-==============-============================================
    ii fluxbox 1.0.0-3 Highly configurable and low resource X11 Win
    konza@konza-laptop:~$ ls -l /usr/share/xsessions/
    total 24
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 235 2007-12-09 15:44 fluxbox.desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 235 2008-09-03 15:43 fluxbox.desktop~
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2948 2008-04-10 11:10 gnome.desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9715 2008-07-17 14:14 ssh.desktop
    By "start menu" do you mean the applications menu? If so, Fluxbox won't appear there. You need to log out, then from the GDM login screen, click on the Sessions menu and choose Fluxbox. Let us know if that works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Thanks snowpine and sorry for being vague. The menu i was referring to was :
    System>Administration>Login Window. From the dropdown in Login Window Preferences chose Fluxbox(yes it is there)and checked it as the Default. Did the ctrl,alt, backspace to restart things. When i right click on the desktop it still only gives me the gnome options box,(Create folder-launcher-document, keep aligned and change desktop background) I also did a complete restart of the computer for the heck of it...to no avail. If it is of any consequence i use Hardy as the only OS on a HP laptop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by konza View Post
    Thanks snowpine and sorry for being vague. The menu i was referring to was :
    System>Administration>Login Window. From the dropdown in Login Window Preferences chose Fluxbox(yes it is there)and checked it as the Default. Did the ctrl,alt, backspace to restart things. When i right click on the desktop it still only gives me the gnome options box,(Create folder-launcher-document, keep aligned and change desktop background) I also did a complete restart of the computer for the heck of it...to no avail. If it is of any consequence i use Hardy as the only OS on a HP laptop.
    I've never tried to switch to Fluxbox using the method you describe; try using the Sessions dropdown on your login (GDM) screen like I described in my previous post.

If you are indeed in Fluxbox but you get the Gnome options when you right click the background, it probably means you are running Nautilus file browser. To use Nautilus in Fluxbox, you must start it with the command:

Code:
    nautilus --no-desktop
    That will keep it from trying to manage your desktop (which is a big mess). I personally prefer to use the Thunar file manager with Fluxbox because it does not mess with the desktop like Nautilus.

Hope that helps!

ps if problems persist, maybe check your /.fluxbox/startup file to make sure you aren't running Nautilus at startup (or if you are, use --no-desktop like I said).
    Last edited by snowpine; September 5th, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ata Kili ! (really magnificent) Snowpine, while pouring over your replies something caught my eye. All along i have had "sessions" and :login window" stuck in my brain. To get to the login window, well, i found that under 'Administration' and indeed from there one can choose what you wish to use as a desktop. FROM the login screen...FROM finally registered to me. Duhhh, the rest from there on out was fine. Thanks again, for helping and having patience with new person to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi guys way new to ubuntu but I am stuck on the step of make it will not work for me and the command sudo checkinstall says no command exists. Help please?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haiyun211 View Post
    hi guys way new to ubuntu but I am stuck on the step of make it will not work for me and the command sudo checkinstall says no command exists. Help please?
    Is there a reason you are compiling fluxbox from source? The fluxbox package in the repositories works well.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fluxbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

because they said that that one in the repository is outdated.

Beans

because they said that that one in the repository is outdated.
    Who is "they"? Are you referring to the author of this tutorial? The first post hasn't been touched for over three years.

The fluxbox package on older Ubuntu releases had a few problems, but it's much better these days.

Which Ubuntu release are you running?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

9.04 and I did what you said and dont really know where to go from here? I have only been using ubuntu for one day.

Beans

9.04 and I did what you said and dont really know where to go from here? I have only been using ubuntu for one day.
    Relax and enjoy Ubuntu as it is meant to be enjoyed for at least a few days. You don't need to jump into the advanced stuff right away. (Especially trying to follow a outdated tutorial for an older release.)

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast