Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Beans

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Quote Originally Posted by mustimasti View Post
    hi guyz i m new to linux and i m trying to install fluxbox , can u tell me in which folder i should extract this fluxbox and i dont know how to edit the source file as checkinstall doesnot work can u explain in more dept like step by step, i dont know anything on ubuntu server nor on linux, if u want u can mail me on mustafa.chittalwala@gmail.com please help me guyz
    Hi Mustafa, if this thread is over your head you can try typing
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fluxbox
    at the command line, or go into the synaptic package manager and install the fluxbox package. This is assuming you're running Hardy Heron 8.04.

Beans

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Quote Originally Posted by mustimasti View Post
    hi guyz i m new to linux and i m trying to install fluxbox , can u tell me in which folder i should extract this fluxbox and i dont know how to edit the source file as checkinstall doesnot work can u explain in more dept like step by step, i dont know anything on ubuntu server nor on linux, if u want u can mail me on mustafa.chittalwala@gmail.com please help me guyz
    As snowpine said, just install the fluxbox package. That's much easier.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fluxbox
    If you are running a version of Ubuntu older than Hardy Heron, make sure you run

Code:
    sudo update-menus
    right after you install fluxbox. This will generate the default fluxbox menu.

Beans

im really really noob at x only got it today i want to install fluxbox ive trying everything you guys have said. ive downloaded fluxbox-1.0.0.tar.gz to desktop then unzipped it on the desktop by double clicking it. i get these msgs wen i try and do what u guys say

w4rlock@w4rlock-desktop:~$ tar xvzf fluxbox-1.0.0.tar.gz
    tar: fluxbox-1.0.0.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    w4rlock@w4rlock-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install fluxbox
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

any suggestions

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mburg23 View Post
    any suggestions
    The latest version of Fluxbox is available in the Ubuntu repositories. At least it is in Hardy Heron (version 8.04). Just use Synaptic to install it.

System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager.

Edit: looks like you tried apt-get, but already had another package manager running somewhere. (that's what the error means) Completely log out. Then log back in. Now run Synaptic, search for fluxbox, and then select it. Hit the Apply button to install it. Now log out again. On the Sessions menu at the login screen, there should now be a Fluxbox Session option. If not, reboot and check again.
    Last edited by yabbadabbadont; August 24th, 2008 at 06:46 AM.

Beans

i figured it out i just had to do the updates then it worked so i have it installed but ...... wen i start up a fluxbox session i can only use the styles it already has and i want to use a different one that i downloaded ... so wat i did was downloaded the style. i had trouble finding the directory where my styles where. but eventually found it, it was in /usr/share/fluxbox/styles/ and i went to paste the style in i downloaded and it says i dont have permission to do that and im not sure how to change permission so i can paste and edit the themes. any suggestions on that?

Could not save the file /usr/share/fluxbox/styles/bora_green/theme.cfg.
    You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You just need to extract it to your user's style directory. In your home directory, there is a hidden directory called ".fluxbox" Note that it starts with a period. In that directory is a styles directory. You need to extract your style there, then it should show up in the menu for selection.

Beans

thanx heaps i think i get it now lucky you said that cause i wouldnt have thought to check for hidden files

Beans

kk this is a little off the compiling topic but installing dockapps in fluxbox. i know you have to type a command in startup to get them to work and i know there is already alot of dockapps installed without having to download them, you can view them by typing "sudo apt-cache search dockapp"
    in terminal. so what i was wondering was what you have to type in the start up script to get them to work. and or, say i downloaded a dockapp i.e "cputnik-0.1.0" where do i have to extract it to and what would i type in start up to get it to work. sorry i know this is noob stuff but its hard going form windows to X and getting it to work.

i want somthing like
    http://www.box-look.org/CONTENT/cont...e1/85565-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85565-1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	82615  
    Last edited by overdrank; August 24th, 2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: please use thumbnails

Beans

The program on the left side of the screenshot you posted is called conky. It's in the repositories:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install conky

Have a look at the following for information on configuring conky:

http://conky.sourceforge.net
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281865

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, I am having trouble getting fluxbox into the start menu. Distro:Hardy I've installed fluxbox every possible way. Synaptic,get-apt and no starting FB to be found. Lastly I completely removed it via Synaptic and reinstalled it the same way. Still nothing in the start menu. Redsquirrel, following your help text elsewhere the following is as far as i can get. It looks to me like everything that should be there is but still no fluxing luck.LOL Am I missing something or what?

konza@konza-laptop:~$ dpkg -l fluxbox
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-==============-==============-============================================
    ii fluxbox 1.0.0-3 Highly configurable and low resource X11 Win
    konza@konza-laptop:~$ ls -l /usr/share/xsessions/
    total 24
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 235 2007-12-09 15:44 fluxbox.desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 235 2008-09-03 15:43 fluxbox.desktop~
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2948 2008-04-10 11:10 gnome.desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9715 2008-07-17 14:14 ssh.desktop

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast