Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think computers will be like in 2022

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What do you think computers will be like in 2022

The year is 2022 what is your expectations for computers and OS's

I envision computers without boxes virtual screens and a full holographic Ubuntu gnome interface with touch capabilities and AI

Beans

Re: What do you think computers will be like in 2022

Better than they are today, but not as nifty as we might think they will be.

Much like visions of 2000, back in 1960. Life really is better today than in 1960, but there aren't nearly enough flying cars.

Beans
    Distro

Most of what I posted is here it exists and is experimental today.

Who doesn't have a flying car.

Beans

Hot off the press from the future:

slashdotdashdotslashdot.org reports:
    Ubuntu 22.10, codename Zappy Zygote, was released today. The new version includes support for IntelAMD's latest Icosidodecahedrolatic Ditrigonal Dodecadodecahedrous® [IDD] cores. At the press conference in London, Mark Shuttleworth announced that boot times have been pushed down to a stunning 18 seconds, and that the entire OS can fit on to a single 8TB CloudStick™. Early adopters report that the new immersive reality experience is blowing away all previous benchmarks.
    Oh, and this:

timewarnerabccnetz.combineorg reports:
    Windows Ultimate Ultimate Pro Redux has landed. The new operating system from Redmond has been wowing consumers with its much-improved interface, although some critics have been complaining about some Windows Genuine Micropayments® extracting more money from their bank accounts than originally planned. Most people are happy, though, or in the words of some analysts, "This is what Windows Ultimate Ultimate should have been."
    I don't think things will really be all that different. The kernel mailing lists will be full of arguments, people will be clamouring for faster boot times, people will be going to war with one another over patents, forks, bugs, bloat and usershare. The only thing that will change is the number of zeroes on the end of your hardware specifications.
    Last edited by monsterstack; May 21st, 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

"Twice as powerful, 10,000 times larger, and so expensive that only the five richest kings in Europe will own them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think integration between the web and the OS will improve. We see it a little today. Most of the apps I run on Ubuntu pull information from web-services. I'm not saying that we will be running WEB operating systems or anything like that. I just think that networking will reach a new level in the consumer market.
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quantum computers maybe?
    Ubuntu Printer Support | Restricted Formats
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Beans
    Distro

In reality, I see television, internet and phone all being connected and combined into one medium and your portable and home computers connected via a cloud based OS and AI managing all the mediums, cpu cores will get to 100 or more, computers will be smaller but powerful like the Crays of today.
    Last edited by gs.linxusr08; May 21st, 2009 at 08:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

A everyday computer will have a 20 Tera byte hardive, with 8 gigabytes of RAM and an Intel with 8 cores. All operating systems will be 64-bit and higher. The graphics will be good enough to run Crysis at Max settings, like if it was running notepad.

Beans

*I think there will be three main classes of computers: netbooks/nettops, servers, and workstations (which mostly only hobbyists like me will own.)
    *Windows will be radically different; it will have become a 64-bit Unix OS with a Win32 sublayer for old applications.
    *Mac OS will be at version 12.
    *Linux will still exist. Most computers will use Windows or Mac, but Linux will be popular with manufacturers who want to customize their OS for a certain purpose.
    *Many people will use a game console as their main computer, and netbooks as secondary machines.
    *FreeDOS will still exist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast