Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with ubuntu's online video streaming.

Beans

Re: Frustrated with ubuntu's online video streaming.

I have tried it without the effects. And i could do the zoom. but i think there is a bigger issue going on. as evidence by the green bar code like thing before the ubuntu startup screen. and also, i am noticing that websites seem to consistently go static. this happened before i followed the tutorial, but it seems strange...

--------------

So, now i followed the tutorial here:
    "HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide"
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582
    and now I can't get any full screen streaming video. the screen just goes gray. the sounds still works and it returns to the normal screen very easily with the "esc" key.

also, I tried a couple of the adjustments from this page, but it didn't seem to help:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

I also get more static just before the computer powers down when i restart or shutdown. a page that is 60% static quickly flashes on the screen just before the power goes off. with shutdown, there is a beep noise before the flash of static prior to powering down.

---------------
    one last thing, many webpages don't seem to fully load any more. they load to the degree necessary to see everything and to fully function, but the progress bar never fully completes. there is often just a tiny bit left...

any ideas?
    sorry i am having such a problem with this...
    Last edited by joem1; July 12th, 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: Frustrated with ubuntu's online video streaming.

I find that no matter what browser I am using, the streaming video is choppy, and a little buggy when i come out of full screen. I tried the visual effects thing, but the stream just freaks. I also installed prelinking. It helped to make the overall OS be a little snappier. Why does windows have such better streaming video, other than its windows and its a paid program. Is it just the flash plugin that makes the quality so crappy?? Can anyone help? ive been using Ubuntu 10.04 for about 3 months with a 3 week windows stint in the middle of it. I love most everything about linux except for the fullscreen streaming video performance. PLEASE HELP! can we plead with conical to shy away from unity and focus on the streaming video problem?? Also i am having trouble with my microphone, help with that also??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I find it a little slower but it works fine while playing videos for me. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 though. Although, sometimes when I try to play videos on full screen the video freezes while the audio plays on. I have to repeatedly switch between normal screen and full screen for it to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I cant get 10.10 to work for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's a combination of crappy flash player and crappy graphics drivers, both of which are closed source and both of which ubuntu can do nothing about. Sorry You could try running Firefox or something in wine and then install flash player in that. It might work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

like install flash in wine? i am also currently running firefox, opera, and chrome( not at the same time of coarse lol)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah, I've heard that's worked before but it's not a particularly great solution. I've even heard of using the flash player with wine embedded in a linux web browser but I can't find much info on it anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just found a way to get streaming video from the web working.....using the default movie player that comes with ubuntu...or whatever flavor of linux you are using, get the download address of the video you want to watch. Then choose open location and paste the address in the box. *poof* the video can be played in full screen with no lag or choppy pixles!!! hope it works for you guys good luk

Beans

Hi, i looked all over this forum and nothing helped me. tried it all. Maby i didn't had the same problem, i have a Nvidia, gaforce 8200 (not labtop) using ubuntu 10.10 and my flash worked really bad (youtube and flash games). then all i did was to change the flash settings, i unmarked "unable hardware acceleration". and all works really good now. Don't know if it will help.. worth to try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been frustrated with this problem too and have posted in other threads about this. I tried the suggestion of re-installing Adobe Flash in synaptic and making sure I only had the Ubuntu restricted extras, but that made no difference.

I should add that the first few weeks of Ubuntu, streaming video worked fine. For a few months now I've had this problem though. I'm trying to be patient and work on finding a solution when I have time. Any other help will be much appreciated.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast