Thread: Mozilla download helper fails to convert files

Beans

Mozilla download helper fails to convert files

Hi, I have been using the download helper and converter add on which is available in Firefox and have been having trouble getting the files which I have downloaded from Youtube as flv files to convert to another format. The first couple of times I tried it I had no problem and managed to convert the flv file to wmv. However since then it has been regularly failing to convert. I have ffmpeg installed and was using this to convert files and it was successful on a couple of occassions. I also tried the other option Mencode- this worked in as much as the programme reported that the conversion had been successful, however when I tried to play the files it told me that I was missing the necessary codecs.
    I'm not the most technically minded I'm afraid but would welcome any advice that can be given
    Sean

Ubuntu 8.10, AMD XP CPU, 2gb Ram, Nvidia Fe 5200
    Last edited by seancyril; May 25th, 2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: need to clarify

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Mozilla download helper fails to convert files

the mencode worked and you dont have the necessary codec to view them. Try installing vlc media player it plays almost any file type.

Beans

Thanks for your reply- I'll give it a go

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by seancyril View Post
    I have ffmpeg installed and was using this to convert files and it was successful on a couple of occassions.
    Does FFmpeg not work for you anymore? If that is the case, what is your FFmpeg command and the complete FFmpeg output?

Beans

Hi, thanks for your reply. Sorry haven't logged on for a while. I didn't run ffmpeg as a command I just installed it with the package manager when I first installed the converter for the download helper. As I say it did work at first but now always fails to convert. I haven't tried converting vids from the command line- not sure how, to be honest.
    When I tried to convert the files with Mencoder it told me that conversion was successful but nothing will play the files - not even vlc media player.
    Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the conversion facility to work in download helper?
    Thanks