Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by cnkk View Post
    smartdimmer..
    xbacklight -set ..
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767374 (this i tried)
    editing the brightness file in /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness (i cannot change it manually. it doesnt accept the change) but i noticed that i can change this value by using the fn keys.. (which has no effect to my brightness)
    well and some more but forget the commands :S

I also cannot use my cdrom :/ i wrote the following in my fstab but its still not working..:
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/scd2 /media/cdrom2 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/scd3 /media/cdrom3 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

no mounting point of the above ones exists :/ what am i doin wrong?
    Add the following to the GRUB_CMD_LINUX_DEFAULT entry in /etc/default/grub:
    nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor

Example:
    Code:
    (...)
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT="10"
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    (...)
    and then run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    on the terminal.

This works for me, and nothing did before it too

For the cdrom, each time you want to open the tray run this (alt+f2 or in the terminal) instead:
    Code:
    eject cdrom
    Make sure you haven't pressed the eject key since you rebooted before attempting this, otherwise it won't do anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhard View Post
    Did you make any progress regarding the fan noise? I got a 3810TG and the fan is running all of the time and it's driving me mad. It's much more quiet, acceptable quiet, when running on batteries, but with the AC plugged in it's unbearably noisy. This is with a 1.14 BIOS and ATI proprietary drivers. But at least on Windows whether ATI or Intel card doesn't matter for the fan at all. The cpu termperature is always below 40 degrees celcius, the power consumption is between 12 and 15 Watts.
    Did you check the CPU temperature?

Beans

Just wanted to update on the issues I was having with the jumpy mouse and battery life.

After running an actual installation (Rather than the usb installation created with the USB creator tool) the mouse fixed itself after the first round of updates. Not sure what did it, but I'm not complaining. Now it is great and I just need to tweak it to enable multitouch emulation.

Still haven't got the mic to work, and not really worth troubleshooting for me. I can live without it.

Suspend is still broken, but it seems to be a BIOS issue, so I will harass Acer rather than the Ubuntu team.

Battery life is much better than it was running from the USB stick for some reaason as well.

All in all, I think that Karmic is a good release, though not one of the best. It feels like there was a bunch of new technologies thrown in and some bugs need to be ironed out for the next LTS.
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mirror external monitor with different resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Dan48p View Post
    Hey guys, i just installed 9.10 upgrade option on my laptop. I wanted to note here that all of my external displays are working perfectly.

With both 9.04 and win7 i was unable to get these displays 1440x900 and 1680x1050 to function at native resolution. I used these displays one at a time not all at the same time.

9.10 immediately recognizes the displays and lets me add them in the "displays" option.
    I wish I was as lucky as you... On my 1810TZ I can't get mirroring working. Sorry for double posting but maybe one of you in this thread been through the same problem:
    Why isn't it possible to mirror two screens (in my case the one on my Acer Aspire Timeline 1810TZ and my external 24" BenQ widescreen) with two individual resolutions? Please help!
    Last edited by h0bbe; November 10th, 2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: New better title

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arlanthir View Post
    Add the following to the GRUB_CMD_LINUX_DEFAULT entry in /etc/default/grub:
    nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor

Example:
    Code:
    (...)
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT="10"
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    (...)
    and then run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    on the terminal.

This works for me, and nothing did before it too

For the cdrom, each time you want to open the tray run this (alt+f2 or in the terminal) instead:
    Code:
    eject cdrom
    Make sure you haven't pressed the eject key since you rebooted before attempting this, otherwise it won't do anything.
    yayyyy thanks alot.. nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor worked for me i can change my backlight now i either can turn it fully off damn im so happy right now thanks alot could you mayb explain what exactly the commands do? would be very nice. and about the cdrom.. well my eject button on the hardware also opens the cdrom but the problem is it doesnt mount the cd/dvd

Beans
    Distro

yayyyy thanks alot.. nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor worked for me i can change my backlight now i either can turn it fully off damn im so happy right now thanks alot could you mayb explain what exactly the commands do? would be very nice. and about the cdrom.. well my eject button on the hardware also opens the cdrom but the problem is it doesnt mount the cd/dvd
    From looking around:

Code:
    acpi_backlight=	[HW,ACPI]
    		acpi_backlight=vendor
    		acpi_backlight=video
    		If set to vendor, prefer vendor specific driver
    		(e.g. thinkpad_acpi, sony_acpi, etc.) instead
    		of the ACPI video.ko driver.
    This is needed to set the backlight driver to the vendor's one, as the default doesn't work correctly. Nomodeset turns off KMS for the driver to work, because it doesn't seem to do anything otherwise :S In practice you lose a bit of the WOW during boot.

I understand the eject button opens the tray, but it also wrongly tells Ubuntu that the cdrom drive has been unplugged (or so I think), because mounting never works after that. Instead, if you just use the command 'eject cdrom', it will mount the CD automatically when you close the tray

Sorry if I can't be more specific, I just found those commands here in the forums too

Beans

you were specific enough believe me I'm so glad that you did a post. finally i can change my backlight and youre right! when i type eject cdrom and put a cdrom into and close it, it mounts the cdrom! and again you did help me thats perfect..theres only the question if i could bind "eject cdrom" command to the eject key from the hardware.. (:

Beans
    Distro

you were specific enough believe me I'm so glad that you did a post. finally i can change my backlight and youre right! when i type eject cdrom and put a cdrom into and close it, it mounts the cdrom! and again you did help me thats perfect..theres only the question if i could bind "eject cdrom" command to the eject key from the hardware.. (:
    That would be nice but I don't know how to do it
    Glad I could help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

A keyboard shortcut like Crtl+Alt+E should be a lot easier.

Beans

i assigned under system->keycombinations ctrl+alt+A to eject. if i use this shortcut i see the eject display above but theres no reaction to my cdrom :S

Page 49 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast