Page 67 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Getting below 7 W is only possible, with the Speedstepping is properly supported - which is apparently not the case!

E.g., on the SU4100 (2x1300 Mhz), the only frequencies available are 1300 and 1200 Mhz. I have also pointed this out in an earlier post but still nobody seems to have found a solution to the problem

Any suggestions are welcome. I have also a response from ACER GERMANY.

Here is the original text:
    vielen Dank für Ihre Kontaktaufnahme mit ACER.

Wichtig wäre hier zu wissen, auf welche Version Ihre Aussage sich stützt.
    Verhält es sich auch mit dem BIOS 1.20 immer noch so ?

Wir werden keine Tests mit Linux machen. Sobald uns die genaueren angaben
    aber bereit stehen, können wir gern dieses weitergeben. Da es sich um ein
    nicht supportetes Betriebssystem handelt, geben wir keine 100%
    Funktionsgarantien.
    I will fill out their online web form and see what will happen...

Beans

Red face Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by acermobile View Post
    Getting below 7 W is only possible, with the Speedstepping is properly supported - which is apparently not the case!

E.g., on the SU4100 (2x1300 Mhz), the only frequencies available are 1300 and 1200 Mhz. I have also pointed this out in an earlier post but still nobody seems to have found a solution to the problem
    Hum can not get less than 9w with 4810TZG (wifi on, all the rest is off and opmimized, ati card off).

So the 14" seems to eat 2w against 13.3" screen ?! should be another think, no ?
    Any other 4810TZG users to comfirme this ?

PS: under Seven 64 bits, system uses 7w in the same condition....

Beans

Has anyone tried processor throttling (0 % for one cpu?!?)? Also, why is it not possible to disable one core?

BTW: Any news on the suspend issue?!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by acermobile View Post
    That's the processor's design. In windows, it also won't go below 1200MHz.. cause the processor can't. Actually, the differences between the SU4100 and the SU7300 are 1MB cache, VT extensions and the ability to clock down to 800MHz (and 0,8750V. SU4100: 0,9250V).

I doesn't support Dynamic Front Side Bus, I believe it was called.
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Beans

As for the 3810T with a SU9400, with Wifi Off, Bluetooth Off, HDA sound in powersave, SATA in powersave, HDD spined down, camera in powersave (USB suspended), and screen in powersave (ie you don't use your laptop), I get 6W of power drain.

In the same configuration but with screen on (in X + Emacs) and writing text, I get 8W.

If I add wifi, I climb to 9W, and surfing with firefox makes me go even higher towards 10W.

Only my 2 pens for power usage reports.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tomfool View Post
    Hi to everyone!
    Well i tried the script wrote by Riskable and it works (thank Riskable),i have the same results,only one question,maybe two:
    1)Does your hd completely stop?Mine doesn't.
    2)I can't get under 7.3w even if i switch-off wi-fi,is it normal?
    I think that we should use ram in a better way,using it like a hd,so we could reduce hd-access.
    What I failed to mention in my post is that I've also enabled some other power-saving features. Some of which take care of the issues you're referring to:

1) Enable Laptop Mode (set ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=true in /etc/default/acpi). This should get your hard drive spinning down.
    2) "sudo apt-get install preload". This keeps frequently-accessed data (e.g. shared libraries) in memory so your hard drive doesn't have to spin up as much. The more memory you have in your laptop the better it will work (I have 4GB but even with 1GB it can save a lot of spinning). It also has the benefit of seriously improving your system's all-around performance!
    3) Use tmpfs (RAM disk) for /tmp (it saves a few more hard drive spinups): 'echo "tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0" >> /etc/fstab'. This can also improve performance somewhat.

...and here's some general all-around power saving tips:

A) Use Konqueror (with Flash plugin disabled) if you really need to save battery while surfing the web. It causes considerably less wakeups (see powertop) than Firefox, Chrome, and Opera (in order of most-to-least wakeups).
    B) If using Firefox or Chrome, install Flashblock and restart your browser after you're done using Flash on a page. Flash has a tendancy to eat up 100% CPU even after you've navigated away from a page (64-bit is the worst!).
    C) "killall gpg-agent ssh-agent". These two cause a few wakeups here and there (all the time) and they're just convenience features. You may not have them running on your system.
    D) Disable any constantly-updating desktop widgets such as clocks, CPU/Memory meters, temperature monitors, etc.

Also, contrary to what some people believe, most of the daemons running in the background on a typical Ubuntu system don't cause enough wakeups to have any noticeable impact on battery life. For example, stopping cupsd and sshd aren't going to buy you any battery time.

If you must have your desktop widgets I've found that if I set the update interval to 5 seconds or greater it reduces their impact on wakeups by many orders of magnitude without negating their usefulness. My only experience with this has been with CPU/RAM/Network monitors in KDE (native Plasma widgets).
    -Riskable
    http://riskable.com
    "Having someone to blame is not an effective IT strategy."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickVogeli View Post
    That's the processor's design. In windows, it also won't go below 1200MHz.. cause the processor can't. Actually, the differences between the SU4100 and the SU7300 are 1MB cache, VT extensions and the ability to clock down to 800MHz (and 0,8750V. SU4100: 0,9250V).

I doesn't support Dynamic Front Side Bus, I believe it was called.
    This is true (the SU4100 doesn't go down to 800MHz) but I just wanted to mention something regarding the SU7300: When I first received my 3810T with an SU7300 it could only go down to 1200MHz. It wasn't until I updated the BIOS that it started supporting 800MHz.
    -Riskable

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just discovered something interesting: Compositing only adds 0.1W to power consumption. I haven't tested it with Compiz but in KDE that's all it adds. So you might as well keep those desktop effects on!

Note: My laptop has only the Intel 4500MHD graphics. With discreet graphics (ATI) it might be different.
    -Riskable

Beans

Thanks Riskable!I'll try every tomorrow morning!Will see...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Doh! I forgot to add one of the most important battery savers: Set vm.swappiness to 10...

Code:
    sudo sysctl -w vm.swappiness=10
    ...and make the change permanent:

Code:
    sudo echo "vm.swappiness=10" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    That will reduce the frequency of hard drive spinups considerably by telling the Linux kernel to keep less-frequently-accessed bits in memory instead of swapping them out to disk (as long as possible). BONUS: It also improves system performance quite a bit!
    -Riskable

Page 67 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast