Page 54 of 100 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 991

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

  1. #531

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Can you confirm you have exactly 3810T?
    Please, post:

    - Ubuntu version
    - Bios version
    - Kernel version
    - Swap partition size

    Thank you
    Last edited by iceman; November 27th, 2009 at 02:44 PM.

  2. #532

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Anyway, i did my test: with the latest 1.17 bios and Mint 8 (Ubuntu Karmic), with kernel 2.6.32-020632rc8-generic (latest) or 2.6.31-15-generic (karmic default) and 8gb swap partition, i still can't suspend S3.

    The strange thing is why the entire 3810T community can't sleep S3 but you are able to?
    I don't want to tell you, i don't believe you, but please explain how do you get the solution...

  3. #533

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    And i add: S4 is working properly... Hibernation has no problem in 3810T (with phisical swap partition enabled)

    No way to get S3 to work. Harddisk just click on resume e suddenly shutdown laptop (even in AHCI/IDE mode and both kernel mixed configuration)

  4. #534
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    1,354

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Can you confirm you have exactly 3810T?
    Please, post:

    - Ubuntu version
    - Bios version
    - Kernel version
    - Swap partition size

    Thank you
    He already indicated that he has a 4810, not a 3810 when he detailed the fix for the skype/mic issue.
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

  5. #535

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Ops... I started reading him, after his first reply to my post...

    OK, nothing changes... we are in deep fog again...

  6. #536
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    19

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Ops... I started reading him, after his first reply to my post...

    OK, nothing changes... we are in deep fog again...
    I have a 4810 with the latest official kernel: 2.6.31-15.
    I do not know the swapsize by heart (I do not use my laptop on daily basis), but usually I set it a bit larger than the physical memory.

  7. #537
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    46

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    I ordered a 3810tz and will be joining the community as soon as I receive it. Just a few questions:

    1. How fast does it hibernate, and return from it?
    2. Supposedly, the machine doesn't come with recovery or windows cd's so you have to make them yourself, but there isn't an optical drive on this, do I have to use a network drive or external? Maybe burn them to an iso?
    3. How would you set up the partitions? Windows 7 would take up two partitions, and Windows 7 wants to be at the beginning of the drive usually, and for linux, I would need two partitions, one for the filesystem, and one for swap. So where does that leave the recovery partition if the drive has the max of four partitions? I don't really want to keep the recovery partition anyway though, is it necessary?
    4. Is battery life better when using 'g' instead of 'n' wireless?
    5. Why does linux consume more Watts on the processor than Windows? That seems rather absurd.
    6. Should I update to the latest BIOS? I'm worried that someone said there are a few problems with it.


    I'm doubting whether I should install linux as I bought the machine for it's battery life. To see people saying that there is a battery life difference between windows and linux is a bit disappointing, but I will give it a nice long shot before I give up.

    Edit: Oh, and I would like to share this link if you haven't seen it yet: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=427347
    Last edited by caelestis2; November 30th, 2009 at 04:59 AM.

  8. #538
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Beans
    277
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Quote Originally Posted by caelestis2 View Post
    I ordered a 3810tz and will be joining the community as soon as I receive it. Just a few questions:

    1. How fast does it hibernate, and return from it?
    2. Supposedly, the machine doesn't come with recovery or windows cd's so you have to make them yourself, but there isn't an optical drive on this, do I have to use a network drive or external? Maybe burn them to an iso?
    3. How would you set up the partitions? Windows 7 would take up two partitions, and Windows 7 wants to be at the beginning of the drive usually, and for linux, I would need two partitions, one for the filesystem, and one for swap. So where does that leave the recovery partition if the drive has the max of four partitions? I don't really want to keep the recovery partition anyway though, is it necessary?
    4. Is battery life better when using 'g' instead of 'n' wireless?
    5. Why does linux consume more Watts on the processor than Windows? That seems rather absurd.
    6. Should I update to the latest BIOS? I'm worried that someone said there are a few problems with it.


    I'm doubting whether I should install linux as I bought the machine for it's battery life. To see people saying that there is a battery life difference between windows and linux is a bit disappointing, but I will give it a nice long shot before I give up.

    Edit: Oh, and I would like to share this link if you haven't seen it yet: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=427347
    I have the 4810T and I can assure you battery life is pretty good on Ubuntu (around 5-6 hours with everything on, wireless, bluetooth, desktop effects, etc). Instead of turning features off, I run a small script to enter powersave mode where applicable (wlan, SATA management policy, screen brightness, CPU frequency, everything powertop says). The 3810T should be similar.

    I had trouble with the BIOS on my previous 4810T, I bricked it downgrading on Windows, so be careful. People generally suggest making a DOS bootable usb thumbdrive (I didn't know that).

    I kept the recovery partition so I have Windows 7, Ubuntu+Swap, Recovery. That's 4, and the limit, but you can always configure extended Partitions, I think Ubuntu does that automatically with Swap.

  9. #539

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    1° 15 seconds to hibernate, 45 seconds to resume
    2° I made it by alchool 100%. Anyway, i had an external dvd-r which i used to make 2 dvds.
    3° Windows 7 does not need 2 partitions. I installed on first partition Win7 (after backup Vista), on second Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and in the third (250gb) Linux Mint 8 (i have a fourth with 8gb swap, that from today is a new Moblin Intel Linux distro.. try it.. it's amazing!!).
    4° n? I don't know it was an n!! Anyway, i used the second mini pci-e and put a Broadcom 4311 "g" because i needed "airport" wireless on Snow Leopard
    5° On Ubuntu 9.10 things are little better. I don't know exactly why is so resource-hungry
    6° I updated bios to the latest. For me, there was no differences from 1.10 to the latest 1.17

  10. #540
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Beans
    277
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    1° 15 seconds to hibernate, 45 seconds to resume
    2° I made it by alchool 100%. Anyway, i had an external dvd-r which i used to make 2 dvds.
    3° Windows 7 does not need 2 partitions. I installed on first partition Win7 (after backup Vista), on second Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and in the third (250gb) Linux Mint 8 (i have a fourth with 8gb swap, that from today is a new Moblin Intel Linux distro.. try it.. it's amazing!!).
    4° n? I don't know it was an n!! Anyway, i used the second mini pci-e and put a Broadcom 4311 "g" because i needed "airport" wireless on Snow Leopard
    5° On Ubuntu 9.10 things are little better. I don't know exactly why is so resource-hungry
    6° I updated bios to the latest. For me, there was no differences from 1.10 to the latest 1.17
    A little bit offtopic but just out of curiosity, how would I install MacOSX on this baby?
    Does everything work?

Page 54 of 100 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •