Page 22 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Adding "pci=biosirq" doesn't help on my 3810t (alpha 4). Hibernate has always worked.

Beans

After some further testing I have found out the pci=biosirq does nothing. Reason I added it to my bootup parameters is cause my laptop never came out of suspend properly and the screen used to stay blank. It turns out that my suspend and hibernate are working correctly anyways.

I am now wondering if it cause my backlight control keys don't work to control and I had to install xbacklight and set this
    Code:
    xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    so I could use xbacklight to control my backlight instead of the kernel.

Beans

BTW, does anyone have a 3810t with suspend working? All working reports seem to be from 4810t's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by quail-linux View Post
    I am now wondering if it cause my backlight control keys don't work to control and I had to install xbacklight and set this
    Code:
    xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    so I could use xbacklight to control my backlight instead of the kernel.
    I don't use pci=biosirq but I do have an issue with brightness. I used your xrandr command and was able to restore control. (Thanks.) But I don't need to use xbacklight. I can just use Fn-LeftArrow/Fn-RightArrow and it works. The steps from one brightness level to the other are very small though.

Hmm... one thing though. I definitely did a test just after installing Ubuntu and I remember brightness working right. I don't know if a kernel upgrade screwed it up or whether the bios upgrade from 1.04 to 1.08 screwed it up. (I was on 1.04 initially.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lemurian View Post
    I don't use pci=biosirq but I do have an issue with brightness. I used your xrandr command and was able to restore control. (Thanks.) But I don't need to use xbacklight. I can just use Fn-LeftArrow/Fn-RightArrow and it works. The steps from one brightness level to the other are very small though.

Hmm... one thing though. I definitely did a test just after installing Ubuntu and I remember brightness working right. I don't know if a kernel upgrade screwed it up or whether the bios upgrade from 1.04 to 1.08 screwed it up. (I was on 1.04 initially.)
    I read a lot of people are having issues with their brightness, but I'm not having any. Not now (32bit karmic alpha4 9.10 2.6.31-6 kernel), nor on my brief excursion to 64bit hardy (I thought it was a jaunty CD ), nor with the 64bit karmic I've been using mostly since alpha5.

What kind of issues are people having anyway, "brightness issues" is a bit vague.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    What kind of issues are people having anyway, "brightness issues" is a bit vague.
    Correct, it is vague.

1. Using the Fn keys to change brightness does not work.
    2. When going from battery to AC or AC to battery, Gnome will show a notification that it is changing the brightness but the brightness does not change.

Basically, it seems that any brightness changes issued from software (whether kernel or userland) are ineffective.

Using the xrandr command shown above fixes both problems. As far as I can tell, it tells xrandr to send brightness changes directly to the hardware instead of letting the kernel handle it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lemurian View Post
    Correct, it is vague.

1. Using the Fn keys to change brightness does not work.
    2. When going from battery to AC or AC to battery, Gnome will show a notification that it is changing the brightness but the brightness does not change.

Basically, it seems that any brightness changes issued from software (whether kernel or userland) are ineffective.

Using the xrandr command shown above fixes both problems. As far as I can tell, it tells xrandr to send brightness changes directly to the hardware instead of letting the kernel handle it.
    I have the same above problems too.

I have tried to setup laptop-mode to control the brightness, but that does not work as laptop-mode does not notice the change between battery and AC.

Example of my /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/lcd-brightness.conf
    Code:
    #
    # Should laptop mode tools control LCD brightness?
    #
    CONTROL_BRIGHTNESS=1

#
    # Commands to execute to set the brightness on your LCD
    #
    #BATT_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND="echo [value]"
    #LM_AC_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND="echo [value]"
    #NOLM_AC_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND="echo [value]"
    #BRIGHTNESS_OUTPUT="/proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/brightness"

BATT_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND="xbacklight -time 0 -set 20"
    LM_AC_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND="xbacklight -time 0 -set 100"
    NOLM_AC_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND="xbacklight -time 0 -set 100"
    BRIGHTNESS_OUTPUT="/dev/null"
    and then I have to run:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/laptop-mode restart
    and then the above conf kicks in.

The closest kernel bug I have found related to this matter is here

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Heh I find it a bit annoying that my brightness changes every time I (un)plug the charger, since I set my brightness depending on ambient light and not whether the charger is plugged in or not. I can imagine not being able to set your brightness with the FN + arrow keys is a major pain.

I don't know if it's any help, but in my /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/lcd-brightness.conf it says CONTROL_BRIGHTNESS=0 and not CONTROL_BRIGHTNESS=1. Also ther are a lot more notes in it.

Here's the whole file :
    Code:
    #
    # Configuration file for Laptop Mode Tools module lcd-brightness.
    #
    # For more information, consult the laptop-mode.conf(8) manual page.
    #

###############################################################################
    # LCD brightness settings
    # -----------------------
    #
    # Using these settings, you can make laptop mode tools automatically adjust
    # your LCD's brightness settings. The settings are extremely simple -- they
    # only allow for the execution of a command, nothing more. The reason for this
    # is that LCD brightness settings are very different between laptop vendors.
    #
    # Suggestions for commands:
    #
    #  * If your system has the file "/proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/brightness" (VID may
    #    be VID1 or similar), use this file as BRIGHTNESS_OUTPUT, and use
    #    the command "echo <value>". The possible values can be listed using the
    #    command:
    #
    #       cat /proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/brightness
    #
    #  * If you have a file /sys/class/backlight/.../brightness, then you can use
    #    that file as BRIGHTNESS_OUTPUT, and the command "echo <value>".
    #
    #    As far as I understand it the values are between 0 and
    #    the value contained in the file /sys/class/backlight/.../max_brightness.
    #
    #  * For Toshiba laptops, use the command "toshset" with the -lcd or -inten
    #    command. Read the toshset(1) manual page for more information on the
    #    parameters for this command. If you use this command, set
    #    BRIGHTNESS_OUTPUT to "/dev/null".
    #

#
    # IMPORTANT: In versions 1.36 and earlier, these settings were included in the
    # main laptop-mode.conf configuration file. If they are still present, they
    # overrule the settings in this file. To fix this, simply delete the settings
    # from the main config file.
    #

#
    # Should laptop mode tools control LCD brightness?
    #
    CONTROL_BRIGHTNESS=0

#
    # Commands to execute to set the brightness on your LCD
    #
    BATT_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND="echo [value]"
    LM_AC_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND="echo [value]"
    NOLM_AC_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND="echo [value]"
    BRIGHTNESS_OUTPUT="/proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD/brightness"

Beans

For your skype!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bududu View Post
    Here is my experience with Acer 3810T (solo) and Xubuntu 9.04.

Almost everything works by default. Except:
    1. Skype doesn't work with microphone. (Microphone works, but skype can't
    hey i found solution in skype set this:

sound in - HDA Intel (hw:intel,o)
    sound out - HDA Intel (hw:intel,o)
    ringing - HDA Intel (hw:intel,o)

and then
    # alsamixer
    press tab than use arrows to switch mic from Front to Int
    and prey..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    I don't know if it's any help, but in my /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/lcd-brightness.conf it says CONTROL_BRIGHTNESS=0 and not CONTROL_BRIGHTNESS=1. Also ther are a lot more notes in it.
    Well, it's a good reminder.

I've actually tried this before but I retried after reading what you quoted just to make sure I really covered all my bases. So I tried manipulating both of these directly and it had no effect:

/proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD03/brightness
    /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

I think the reason is that both are ways to get the *kernel* to change brightness.

There's a bunch of other devices than DD03 under OVGA but none of them support brightness changes.

Page 22 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast