Thread: Can I remap the keyboard?

Beans

Can I remap the keyboard?

I have a 8.04 server edition I installed GNOME on, and from my mac I do ssh -X to ssh into the server, then launch gnome-panel, so I can use the Ubuntu GUI from my mac (I attempted executing a full on gnome-session at first, but it didn't work )

Anyways the gnome-panel does EXACTLY what I want, but there's one quirk. When I type, the mapping is TOTALLY wrong. For example, I hit spacebar and it hits 6. Or I type my name is david and it says "orusameosidnahsi" (thats an example string, if I really type my name is david it hits exit and closes whatever I'm doing!

Any help here would be appreciated. It's a headless server, so I don't care if the server's mapping gets totally screwed up, so long as it works from my mac; thanks !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can I remap the keyboard?

You might try "xkeycaps" , I use it to change my capslock to a L. shift ........ but it does other keys , you might have to make a launcher for it , just type xkeycaps as the command.

Beans

Re: Can I remap the keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    You might try "xkeycaps" , I use it to change my capslock to a L. shift ........ but it does other keys , you might have to make a launcher for it , just type xkeycaps as the command.
    With alittle fidgiting I"ve gotten it to work, thanks