Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox error: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Beans

Re: VirtualBox error: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

I had an update this morning and then Vbox popped this error. I did as suggested and the solution worked. I need to ask, why was this necessary as VBox was working prior to the update? Will this be necessary after every kernel update?

Beans

Smile Re: VirtualBox error: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

It's a free OS...dems the brakes, I'm just happy the community has solutions to most issues and failing that will work with us to find the solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chartter9 View Post
    It's a free OS...dems the brakes, I'm just happy the community has solutions to most issues and failing that will work with us to find the solution.
    Oh I am not complaining, I am grateful that there was a simple solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by DarthOpto View Post
    I had an update this morning and then Vbox popped this error. I did as suggested and the solution worked. I need to ask, why was this necessary as VBox was working prior to the update? Will this be necessary after every kernel update?
    vbox (and some other software, like my nvidia drivers for example) have kernel modules. So if your innocent looking update happens to include a kernel update, all kernel modules have to be recompiled for the new kernel.

DKMS (dynamic kernel module support) is supposed to automate this by keeping track of kernel modules, and recompiling them as needed. This also means you have to have to correct headers package too. This also should keep itself up to date with the linux-headers-generic package, which is just a meta-package that points to the latest headers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by b0b138 View Post
    This also means you have to have to correct headers package too. This also should keep itself up to date with the linux-headers-generic package, which is just a meta-package that points to the latest headers.
    And unfortunately, the last couple of kernel updates for Lucid have NOT included the header packages as part of the update. Thus when you reboot after installing all of the updates, your system is no longer fully functional if you use VirtualBox or Nvidia video cards. With 2.6.32-26, only vbox was affected. With 2.6.32-27, Nvidia also bit the dust, making it a bit difficult to do an immediate repair. Fortunately, rebooting to -26 allowed me to grab the new headers...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

I have the same problem, the solution to boot an earlier version is however not something I do not know how to do. Could someone explain in beginners terms how to do it?

It will be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Nisse79 View Post
    I have the same problem, the solution to boot an earlier version is however not something I do not know how to do. Could someone explain in beginners terms how to do it?

It will be much appreciated.
    Hold shift down while you boot, then you get a menu of all your linux kernels.
    // Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BrMBr View Post
    Worked for me! Thanks!!!
    Using Ubuntu 10.10, Maverick Meerkat, and the solution still works.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: VirtualBox error: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Code:
    root@blabry-madrfakr:/etc/init.d# sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv.dpkg-bak setup
     * Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                                            *  done.
     * Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules                               *  done.
     * Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS                   *  done.
     * Starting VirtualBox kernel modules                                            *  done.
    This worked for me

Ubuntu 11.04 GO (Ubuntu 10.10, Maverick Meerkat)

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rinocom View Post
    Try tabbing out the vboxdrv portion of 'sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv' and see if it has been moved... I say this because I found that I had a file called '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv.dpkg-bak'. I executed
    Code:
    laptop:~$ sudo cp /etc/init.d/vboxdrv.dpkg-bak /etc/init.d/vboxdrv
    laptop:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
     * Stopping VirtualBox kernel module                                             *  done.
     * Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module                                  *  done.
     * Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module                                  *  done.
     * Removing old VirtualBox kernel module                                         *  done.
     * Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module                                          *  done.
     * Starting VirtualBox kernel module                                             *  done.
    I seem to be good now.

Rhino

this worked for me
    ubuntu forums are amazing.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast