Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compile Xgl from source. The first step of the Future of the Linux Desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Compile Xgl from source. The first step of the Future of the Linux Desktop.

Yeah, so I finally got it to compile.
    I had to symlink fontproto.h to fix my previous problem and install Xfont from cvs.

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Compile Xgl from source. The first step of the Future of the Linux Desktop

interesting. I've got some issues compiling xgl. Here's the error it returns when I run "./autogen.sh --enable-glserver --enable-glxserver":
    Code:
    checking for XSERVER... configure: error: Package requirements (randrproto renderproto fixesproto damageproto xextproto xfont xproto xtrans xau compositeproto resourceproto recordproto) were not met.
    Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively you may set the XSERVER_CFLAGS and XSERVER_LIBS environment variables
    to avoid the need to call pkg-config.  See the pkg-config man page for
    more details.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Compile Xgl from source. The first step of the Future of the Linux Desktop

Ok.. I would reallt like some more info what Xgl is, and maybe some screenshots?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

look through this thread near the end.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...&highlight=xgl

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I don't see a satisfying answer to that question there.

And while I "know" what Xgl is, I too am not sure what to expect and would like to know a bit more about stability beside, like dabear requested, a few clarifying screenshots.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's requires xorg 7.0 anyways...so yeah. THis really shouldn't be in 5.10 Howtos.

http://www.linuxedge.org/index.php?q=node/39

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compile Xgl from source. The first step of the Future of the Linux Desktop.

Xglx is an X server that renders everything through hardware.
    So far I've been able to compile in the composite extension, but the mesa libraries are very confusing to me and I can't actually compile in the glx extensions.

Meaning what I've made is that it acts the same as the normal X server but with the composite extension built-in (which I've not found any stability issues with as long as I don't use kompmgr)

For you guys who want to still tamper with it and are getting dependency errors, what I did was installed kpackage and apt-file and searched the repo for the individual files that I needed.

But yeah, it's just as well to wait 2 1/2 months and install this madness when Dapper is finished.
    Well, it started out as one quick question anyway...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For GLX use --with-mesa-source=/home/user/Mesa

Point that to the Mesa CVS. Still get errors with the make process though.
    /home/robert/Mesa/src/mesa/main/state.c: In function '_mesa_init_exec_table':
    /home/robert/Mesa/src/mesa/main/state.c:787: error: 'struct _glapi_table' has no member named 'GetQueryObjecti64vEXT'
    /home/robert/Mesa/src/mesa/main/state.c:788: error: 'struct _glapi_table' has no member named 'GetQueryObjectui64vEXT'
    make[2]: *** [libglcore_la-state.lo] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/robert/xserver/GL/mesa'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/robert/xserver/GL'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Beans

Try to compile without --enable-glx

it should not complain about missing GL core. but for me, I compiled I ran it. However, I don't see any acceleration. It seems much slower instead.I could barely play any movie.

My Desktop is:
    AMD64 3800+ X2 ( overlocked to 2.34ghz )
    Nvidia Geforce4 6600
    1 GIG Mem
    400 Gigz Harddrive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by yanns
    @ zasf: how did you get rid of the automake warnings?
    I compiled and installed automake from source since you need a newer version than the one from repos

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXserver_2fInstallGuide
    Before You Build
    • autoconf --version must report 2.59 or later
    • automake --version must report 1.7.x
    • libtool --version must report 1.5 (available from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/ if your distribution doesn't have it)
    • pkg-config --version must report 0.9.0 or later
    I installed 1.9.1, please ask if this wasn't enough.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast