Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blank screen - graphics card gets too hot to touch

Beans

Re: blank screen - graphics card gets too hot to touch

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    That replacement card will be fine with Ubuntu. It's got the nvidia GeForce 7200GS chipset which is more compiz capable than the old FX5500 one. Another advantage is that it's passively cooled (if NewEgg have posted an accurate picture - beware, some suppliers over here in the UK are careless with their pictures) which means quieter and no fan to get clogged up. Indeed I'm wondering if the dust stopped the fan from working properly which caused the GPU to overheat, which in turn has caused it to fail.

Since you're running compiz, you'll have the propretary Linux nvidia driver installed, but you may have an older version of this for what is now an old card. This may or may not be OK with the newer 7200GS card. If, after you've fitted the new card, the system boots up OK, simply go into System > Adminstration > Hardware Drivers and see if it wants to install a newer version of the driver. But if, when you boot up, the graphics server fails, reboot into recovery mode and run xfix. Now when you reboot again, you'll be using the open source nv driver and compiz will be disabled. So, now simply go to Hardware Drivers and install whichever verison of the proprietary driver it recommends and you will be able to re-enable compiz.
    Wow, thanks for the info - I feel better about going into this now. Hopefully everything will go smoothly, but I'll post back here. I'm ordering the new card tonight.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    That replacement card will be fine with Ubuntu. It's got the nvidia GeForce 7200GS chipset which is more compiz capable than the old FX5500 one. Another advantage is that it's passively cooled (if NewEgg have posted an accurate picture - beware, some suppliers over here in the UK are careless with their pictures) which means quieter and no fan to get clogged up. Indeed I'm wondering if the dust stopped the fan from working properly which caused the GPU to overheat, which in turn has caused it to fail.

Since you're running compiz, you'll have the propretary Linux nvidia driver installed, but you may have an older version of this for what is now an old card. This may or may not be OK with the newer 7200GS card. If, after you've fitted the new card, the system boots up OK, simply go into System > Adminstration > Hardware Drivers and see if it wants to install a newer version of the driver. But if, when you boot up, the graphics server fails, reboot into recovery mode and run xfix. Now when you reboot again, you'll be using the open source nv driver and compiz will be disabled. So, now simply go to Hardware Drivers and install whichever verison of the proprietary driver it recommends and you will be able to re-enable compiz.
    One question before I order though is will I have any difficulties since i'm switching from agp to pci?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by angelsneverdie View Post
    One question before I order though is will I have any difficulties since i'm switching from agp to pci?
    Your computer won't care. But PCI is slower than AGP.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by angelsneverdie View Post
    Sorry - I missed that bit. You've chosen a PCIe card, not a PCI, and that won't do at all. Explanation - Older motherboards have AGP slots for graphics, newer ones PCIe. (And some even older ones, only PCI.) I very much doubt you'll have a PCIe slot - I've never heard of them co- existing.

I suggest you go back to that NewEgg site and see if you can get the same chipset card but with AGP. Go into their AGP section (if that's how they arrange things) and look for something in the GeForce 7*** range.

Edit: OK, I've had a quick look for you. Here's their nVIDIA AGP page. Inevitably, everything is more expensive. Older technology always is for some reason - probably volume of sales. There are no 7*** series cards, but there seem to be three possibilities. There's a Sparkle (never heard of them) card with the same 5500 chipset for $35, a PNY 6200 for $41 and a Gigabyte 6200 for $39. If I was buying, I'd go for the Gigabyte. The 6200 chipset isn't as fast as the 7200GS one, but I recently set up someone with Jaunty and a 6200 AGP card and compiz worked a treat.

By the way, be very cautious with the information on that site. It's as careless as some of the UK equivalents I mentioned. If you scroll down that page about halfway, you'll find a Gigabyte Radeon card for $95 with a chipset made by nvidia - apparently. I'm sure noth nvidia and ati would be startled by that assertion. I realise you probably won't want to spend $95, but don't get a radeon card. Even one made by nvidia!

Final thought: of course, make sure that the old card is an AGP one before buying. If you misidentified the old one and it is a PCIe then the replacement you chose will be fine. The motherboard manual should tell you what the slot is, and most cards have a little label saying whether they're AGP or PCIe.
    Last edited by coffeecat; May 20th, 2009 at 08:46 AM.

Beans

ahhh i didn't even know PCIe existed. I guess i'll be sending it back and getting the gigabyte one like you suggested. thanks for catching that, you're a lifesaver.
    Last edited by angelsneverdie; May 20th, 2009 at 11:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Out of curiosity I went back to the NewEgg page to make sure I hadn't missed anything else, and I had, but this time I hope it's only a minor thing. The reason I mentioned the Gigabyte in particular is not because it was marginally cheaper, but because it's probably a better make. I've certainly had some problems with PNY products, but that may have been my bad luck.

Anyway, the thing I missed is that the Gigabyte seems only to have a DVI output - which is most unexpected. (The PNY has both DVI and VGA, which is more usual.) But if you click on the image it shows a picture of the pack contents which includes a DVI to VGA converter, so you should be OK. You're almost certain to be using VGA at the moment, but if the monitor has DVI input you'll get a better image with DVI.

Ho hum. I hope it all works out. All these details - bewildering.

Beans

Smile Re: blank screen - graphics card gets too hot to touch

I just put the gigabyte card in this evening and voila! Video! I find that having a working video card is integral to the whole desktop computing experience. thanks to everyone who helped me!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12