There are GCstar and Tellico (others?) to organise your video collection.
What I wished a movie collection could achieve is:
  1. scan your drive and look for movies (like amarok). The scanning identifies everything possible about the movie (codec, resolution, length...) I wrote a shell script that does that for tellico ...
  2. relational database: the movie is one thing, the file(s) another: I have the same movie in different qualities, 700MB, 1.4GB, VOB, so I do not want to enter the same information for each file (I don't want to copy either ..) A relational database could do that.
  3. Grouping: I have a movie, a trailer, the making-of, additional shooting..., all these "video clips" belong to ONE movie, so I want to group them ... again relational database (i don't mean the grouping that tellico provides, even if it could be used somehow).
  4. EDL:edit decision list. To screen and access excerpts of a movie, a list defining excerpts should be integrated. One movie can have many excerpts. The excerpt has an identifier, title, comment, etc. and, of course, start and stop time. Playlists addressing these excerpts can be created, so that i can screen selected parts of different movies.
  5. Text highlights: stopping the movie at a certain time for x seconds and showing text. E.g. the movie stops at 13:24, brightness of the still-picture decreases, a text (in white) is overlaid and after 12 seconds the movie continues. This allows highlighting of certain aspects in a movie and commenting them.

The programm should have an avidemux like frontend build in, with which you can edit the EDL and include some text.

I did not find anything even remotely similar to this idea.
anything existing?