Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland.
    Beans
    146
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    And India is the country where half the world is out sourcing their IT operations now to.
    Great news for Microsoft.
    My Girlfriend + Man Utd + Nightwish + Chess + Poker + a little bit of Accounting = my life!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by amitabhishek View Post
    This is such an absurd conclusion!!!
    No, it isn't. It is a fact everybody knows, but nobody speaks about.

    Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    And India is the country where half the world is out sourcing their IT operations now to.
    We are disciplined workers, we work for peanuts, most graduates can speak decent English and we are excellent at repetitive tasks. In reality though, most software engineers in India are very effective workers, but poor thinkers with little originality.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mumbai (India)
    Beans
    119
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    No, it isn't. It is a fact everybody knows, but nobody speaks about.

    poor thinkers with little originality.
    And you know this because .....

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by zeex View Post
    And you know this because .....
    err.. I'm an Indian and I live and work with Indians.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Abuja,Nigeria
    Beans
    499
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    Linux is not Windows is not windows is not windows. Am not sure how much longer i have to stress it but Linux is not windows.

    This is why i refuse to call any linux distro a windows replacement. its an OS on its own and has its own ways of doing things. WINDOWS doesnt set the standard of how a computer should behave,

    Most of the issues the blog post talked about concerned gnome. on kde i could right click on an object and send it anywhere on my desktop. XFCE with thunar also has that kind of behavior. and also on kde you can right click a drive and safely remove it.

    The biggest issue here is this people were not well informed about linux and just expected to see windows in a different name.
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

    Blog identica twitter lastfm

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mumbai
    Beans
    27
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    .... but poor thinkers with little originality.
    OK, thats a little over your head comment. You can't possibly judge all of us on the scale of some random blogger. The thing is techies in india are not dumb, but the techies you or me regularly see are. Again, thats because almost all of the real brain still does not work in india. They take off as soon as their career takes off. The software industry in india was never built for purposes of scientific innovation but rather as a business model that would work for both mnc's (cheap labour) and indian workforce (a whole lot of jobs). The guys who are really successful do not care for the philosophy of tools for a second, they would pick up whatever software that works and turn it into profit. If you have more support available for windows then so be it. It gets stupid only when a moron with a laptop somewhere in a bangalore pub starts representing whole software industry in country.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    Beans
    1,555
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    After reading the whole thread I still do not understand why GNOME would need this refresh thing and why anyone would use it.


    Quote Originally Posted by neo_1in View Post
    Again, thats because almost all of the real brain still does not work in india.
    Some how this strikes me as amazingly funny.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mumbai (India)
    Beans
    119
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bölvağur View Post
    After reading the whole thread I still do not understand why GNOME would need this refresh thing and why anyone would use it.
    GNOME is awesome the way it is and the way it's evolving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bölvağur View Post
    Again, thats because almost all of the real brain still does not work in india.

    Some how this strikes me as amazingly funny.
    It's not funny but reality. People graduate then move to US or UK or Australia Germany somewhere else because the opportunities there are somehow better than India. This is changing though but very very slowly.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    414
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    Quote Originally Posted by zeex View Post
    Dude WTF

    Why did you think this has something to do with culture. Just because that blog used the word Ritual. Right click -> Refresh is a nice time pass when your boss does not let you play solitaire. What do think we refresh, rings some bells light up candles before shutting down the computer.

    what did you search for? I wanna look at some of these articles.
    Links:

    An Indian(?) asks about why "we" use refresh alot:

    http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question...7070948AArbWg7

    The inference that Indians do this a lot is weak from that page, but the following has a little more meat on it:

    http://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/...e-refresh.html

    Again, I did not use "ritual" or "religion" in my original posts - and again, a ritual is not necessary a religious one. I have rituals I go through in order to get up for work and go to bed at night.

    I mentioned cultural traits because I am unaware of any other group of ppl who do that with their Windows installations. Therefore I suspect a regional or cultural behaviour is operating.

    Interesting idea that refresh might be some sort of stress relief or idling time.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

    ^^ OK you prove your point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    No, it isn't. It is a fact everybody knows, but nobody speaks about.
    Quote Originally Posted by neo_1in View Post
    thats because almost all of the real brain still does not work in india.
    These statements serves you well airheads and I know where this thread is going...
    Last edited by amitabhishek; May 19th, 2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Typo
    Reality is an illusion that occurs due to lack of alcohol.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •