Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MythTV remote telnet port for frontend

Beans

Unhappy MythTV remote telnet port for frontend

Hi guys,

I can't see to work out why I can access the mythfrontend remote from local host but not on my home network using another PC or my iphone using the "MyMote" app.

If I ssh in remotely to the frontend machine I can control it ok as local host and I have the tick in the box to enable remote control like this:

Code:
    bj@MythTV-Lounge:~$ telnet localhost 6546
    Trying ::1...
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    MythFrontend Network Control
    Type 'help' for usage information
    ---------------------------------
    #
    but if I go directly to the IP address of the machine it doesn't have the port available.

Code:
    bj@bj-laptop:~$ telnet 192.16.0.3 6546
    Trying 192.16.0.3...
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
    bj@bj-laptop:~$
    open ports on frontend:

Code:
    Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-05-18 22:19 WST
    Interesting ports on 192.168.0.3:
    Not shown: 1712 closed ports
    PORT     STATE SERVICE
    22/tcp   open  ssh
    111/tcp  open  rpcbind
    6547/tcp open  powerchuteplus

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 10.908 seconds
    As you can see there is no access to remote port 6456, but there is if you are directly attached to the box in terminal or using ssh.

Is there some bind address or firewall settings in mythbuntu I am not aware of? ufw is disabled.

Thanks

Bj
    Last edited by BjBlaster; May 18th, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

Beans

Re: MythTV remote telnet port for frontend

That's odd, mine works fine with Ubuntu + Myth and Mythbuntu. Checklist of items to verify:

- Make sure remote control port is enabled, it's off by default (obviously yours is on, because you can connect to it localhost)

- Make sure mythfrontend is actively running when you try to connect. The control socket goes to the frontend, and is gone when the frontend exits.

- Check listening ports on local machine via "netstat -an | grep LISTEN". There should be a line saying "tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6546 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN". In your case, this should definitely be there, because you can connect locally. The 0.0.0.0:6546 is important, this means it's listening on all interfaces. If it shows as 127.0.0.1:6546, it's only listening for localhost. But, this should not be the case for the control socket, because it's inherently needing to accept remote connections.

- Is a firewall enabled on the frontend host? "sudo iptables -L" will list the firewall rules. The "INPUT" chain should be set to accept, if not, or if there is a complex policy, this could be blocking access.

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

Well that is interesting the netstat shows:

Code:
    $ netstat -an | grep LISTEN
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:902             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8333            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6546            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6547            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
    Which is good, and the iptables are:

Code:
    $ sudo iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    But when the frontend is running I still can't connect to it, and an nmap doesn't show this port as open still?!

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Bj

Beans

I'm not sure if you ever found the solution, I found this thread while trying to fix the same problem. After looking at the myth source code I realised that the answer was in the BackendServerIP.

One would think that BackendServerIP would specify the backend server IP, but no, for the frontend, this parameter dictates what interface it listens on for a few services, including the remote network interface. I changed it to the the IP of the ethernet device on the front end and it all started working. From the code, I think that just deleting the parameter would have worked also.

As for where to edit/delete the parameter, you could edit the mysql database directly but I used mythweb instead. Go to settings(The key+spanner icon)->MythTV. You also need to make sure that you select which host you are editing the settings for.

Beans

Thank you for bringing this old thread back to life, as it helped me getting mythmote to work. Instead of editing the DB directly, I used MythTV Backend Setup and edited both Local Backend IP and Master Backend IP.

I run a single frontend/backend machine, so these fields were set to 127.0.0.1. Changing them to my eth0 device IP made mythfrontend listen on both interfaces:

tcp 0 0 192.168.1.3:6546 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 13183/mythfrontend.
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:6546 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 13183/mythfrontend.
    I wonder why the frontend would listen on the loopback interface at all, except for testing purposes. Perhaps there should be an option in the frontend setup where you activate the network remote feature, that would allow you to tell what interface to listen on.

Anyway, all's well now, so thanks again.

Beans

yeah i think it is quite annoying that myth defaults to localhost for almost everything. It makes it much harder when sopmeone who has been succesfully running a combined BE/FE system wants to run a remote FE.

Beans

Hi,

I have the same problem with my iphone and Mymote application it dosen't connect to frontend.

In mymote application, the application discover automatically my backend and I entered the pin code (0000 in my case and it configured in backend interface), it can't connect to frontend.

Note: I use mythbunto distribution (mythtv 0.25)
    backend and frontend are in the same server.

Code:
    telnet 192.168.1.249 6546
    Trying 192.168.1.249...
    Connected to 192.168.1.249.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    MythFrontend Network Control
    Type 'help' for usage information
    ---------------------------------
    # help
    Valid Commands:
    ---------------
    jump               - Jump to a specified location in Myth
    key                - Send a keypress to the program
    play               - Playback related commands
    query              - Queries
    set                - Changes
    screenshot         - Capture screenshot
    message            - Display a simple text message
    exit               - Exit Network Control

Type 'help COMMANDNAME' for help on any specific command.
    Code:
    netstat -an|grep LISTEN|grep :6546
    tcp        0      0 192.168.1.249:6546      0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6546          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
    tcp6       0      0 ::1:6546                :::*                    LISTEN
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by zribiahmed; June 8th, 2012 at 05:50 PM.

Beans

Just for the sake of other people with this or a similar problem.

The problem seems to be that the network control is listening on the wrong port, it only listens on 127.0.0.1 and the ::1, which will then make it not react to access from the local IP. (192.16.0.3 in this case).

For some reason, this seems to be connected to the mythbackend settings. I had the same problem which I solved by changing the IP settings in mythtv-setup. If I define the backend IP and master backend IP to by my local IP (192.16.0.3 in this case), the mythmote network control starts to listen on all three of 127.0.0.1, ::1 and the local IP. Then I can access it normally from other computers / mobiles in my LAN.

Beans

Just another reason why friends don't let friends run mythtv on localhost

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

that's interesting...I've been having problems with mythmote not being able to access my mythbuntu 12.10 and now 13.04 machine. It worked fine in mythbuntu 11.10, though. So I need some particulars. How do you specify that it listens on 3 addresses? Since you have 2 fields, do you just separate 127.0.0.1 with a comma in the backend so it looks like this (my local IP is 192.168.2.3):

127.0.0.1, 192.168.2.3

And leave the next field as ::1??
    ><>Marty<><

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast