Thread: PPC Java

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

PPC Java

This may seem like a stupid question, but I can't get Java installed! I've looked through all the tutorials and guides, but I can't figure any of it out. In the terminal, when I type in java -version, I get this:
    java version "1 .5.0"
    gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)

This means I have it installed, I just can't do anything with it, like Youtube. Should I uninstall then re-install or what? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Re: PPC Java

Also, when I try what it says here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ja...d1759ef38eeb64 it says the openjdk-6-jre can not be installed on my computer type, but it also says it can't download all repository indexes. It can't even find a sun-java6-bin package

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Up until 8.10 there was some IBM java packages that I used. I think they were in the medibuntu repository. I can't find them in 9.04.

Beans
    Distro

Where can I get Medibuntu at? At the website, there is a PPC download, but when I try to open it I get libstdc++5 error. When I look through my repository there is only a libstdc++6 file for 64 bit computers

Beans

Take a look at openjdk-6, which has a ppc version. It's in the ubuntu repositories, beginning with 8.10. I like to track the https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6 page.

Beans
    Distro

PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Medibuntu Repos

Here is the repository HOWTO, it is platform independent, so PPC doesn't matter.

Code:
    Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope":

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

If you run a terminal and execute that, you can use it in aptitude or synaptic/adept, etc...

As far as Java, you may need to enable universe and multiverse in the synaptic repositories to get the sun libs.
    Last edited by 10011010; May 23rd, 2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: fine tuning