Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaunty & HP tx2 ntrig digitizer and touchscreen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Jaunty & HP tx2 ntrig digitizer and touchscreen

Thx Vincent,even tho i did not try your solution.
    What I did do was follow Favux's suggestion,only with a bit of modification( interestingly by Favux him/her self.I wonder why he/she did not mention in his post on this thread)
    Just go thru this thread :http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1183118
    Last edited by nema.arpit; June 10th, 2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: avoiding gender bias :p

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone,

Ayuthia has figured out how to get the stylus and touch working in Jaunty for the TX2z and the Dell XT. You have to use a xorg.conf for it to work. See Appendix 2 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...92#post6274392 to pick up the xorg.conf. There is a link to Ayuthia's instructions and deb.s there also.

Beans

I purchased a tx2-1244ca on Saturday and have been setting up Jaunty on it. THANKS to Favux, Ayuthia, idyllictux and other contributors for all of your work on this. The result:

- Sound works fine. I disabled PulseAudio using instructions here: http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2009...eaudio-at-bay/

- Video works fine. I am using the "fglrx" driver with desktop effects disabled. As noted by Favux, rotation and Compiz won't work at the same time with fglrx.

- Stylus worked out of the box (but not pen button)

- I used the instructions pointed to by Favux above to get the pen button and touch working. I also got rotation working using method #3. The rotation button on the bevel won't work, sadly I don't know if there's a rotation signal being sent from the hinge on this model -- it didn't work in Vista so I didn't try the method suggested in the thread.

What I noticed:

- on rotation, the calibration is sometimes off initially but corrects itself as soon as you switch applications. The mouse pointer also sometimes doesn't rotate initially, but again fixed itself when you switch apps.
    - touch only works for selecting things. I cannot click or right-click using touch.

Personally, I think this setup will work for me. It would be nice if I could use the buttons on the bevel, and better touch support (multi-touch?) would be great, but I don't need those right now.

Oh, and my boot time is now 3x faster than it was under Vista Thanks for saving me from Microsoft, folks!

Beans
    Distro

Hi antispin,

Welcome to Ubuntu!

Great job with getting stylus, touch and rotation working!

I don't know if it is possible to get touch to "click". In the stylus section of xorg.conf:
    Code:
    	Option		"Button1"	"1"
    is default. Where Button1 is the stylus tip and 1 is the left mouse click. 3 would be a right click. I don't think it would do anything adding it to the touch section, because touch probably doesn't accept the Button option. The same probably applies to the Threshold option.

It may be worth trying but the worse case scenario is that it would break X. So if you want to try it back up your xorg.conf and be prepared to reinstall it from the command line. If you want to try it and need the commands let me know.

Another possibility is that the Capacity option isn't sensitive enough. This is a touch option and Capacity can be between -1 to 5.
    Code:
    	Option		"Capacity"	"number"
    You would just try each number in turn and see if you notice any difference.

Beans

Well, I've been using Ubuntu since 4.10 and started off on Slackware many years ago the level of hardware support I am seeing in Linux now though, thanks to Ubuntu, is frankly amazing.

I never would have expected to get this tablet PC working so well on Linux.

I find I *can* left-click using touch, but it's very hit-and-miss. Thanks for your suggestions -- I am going to try them soon when I have a little more time and will report back.

Beans
    Distro

Hi antispin,

I suspected you were a veteran and that the post #1 was misleading. So maybe welcome to Ubuntu forums?

Yes some talented folks working on it. Hopefully Rafi Rubin's patches will be taken up by the LWP like his kernel HID stuff has been by the kernel folks. With MPX and other mult-touch stuff supposedly scheduled for the next few versions of Xserver you can hope for experimental stuff available for Kharmic and production stuff for 10.4.

Beans

Hi,

I have a dell latitude XT and ubuntu 9.04, digitizer it's the same from N-Trig.

Everything works but the touch screen miss "taps" sometime . ( finger taps )

Any idea why?

Beans
    Distro

Hi Nimless,

Welcome to Ubuntu!

No I don't know why it's missing taps. Antispin is looking into it. See my post #14 above. You might want to start with the Capacity option.

If you're not using the xorg.conf I posted on the Rotation HOW TO maybe you could post yours and we could take a look?

Maybe Ayuthia's encountered this and has already investigated it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Nimless,

Welcome to Ubuntu!

No I don't know why it's missing taps. Antispin is looking into it. See my post #14 above. You might want to start with the Capacity option.

If you're not using the xorg.conf I posted on the Rotation HOW TO maybe you could post yours and we could take a look?

Maybe Ayuthia's encountered this and has already investigated it.
    Hi!

Thanks for answering.

I'm using the xorg.conf you posted, also this behaviour with kernel 2.6.30 and up appears ALWAYS, but with the modified 2.6.28.13 by Ayuthia it appears only "AFTER" i've tapped the screen with the stylus, after a fresh boot touch taps works flawlessly.

Seems to me the stylus breaks something and Ayuthia patches are really close to get touch working

Beans
    Distro

Hi Nimless,

OK, good to know it does work for a Dell XT. Thank you. It would be good to see what your other xorg.conf sections look like if you get the chance. I too think Ayuthia did amazing work. That seems to indicate the kernel support in 2.6.30 (and up, and 2.6.29?) isn't enough, the wacom drivers need some work beyond Rafi's n-trig.patch for identification.

We had to add:
    Code:
    	Option		"Touch"		"on"
    to get touch working, even though that should be default. So try adding just under it:
    Code:
    	Option		"Capacity"		"3"
    Where 3 is default for a capacitive touch device. I think the n-trig should be treated as one. Then try varying the number to see if you can get more sensitivity and if that makes a difference. Since the n-trig doesn't quite behave like a wacom even with the patches be sure to have xorg.conf backed up and be prepared for breakage.
    Last edited by Favux; July 6th, 2009 at 06:04 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast