Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back on winxp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Back on winxp

Been using Ubuntu for a few months, hence thought of getting back to winxp and play some games.

Did a fresh install, update and patch up everything. Install anti-virus and spywares etc...

Then when I thought I am safe, my pc starts to appear weird...a single click on the mouse sometimes becomes two. No, there is nothing wrong with my mouse as I tried it on another pc. (it is working fine now with ubuntu)

PC slowing down when I starts to update and install programs...

Now, back to ubuntu again.
    Don't think I would go back to windows again. (unless I am going to play games again, hopefully not)
    Visit my hamsters lover site
    http://www.sghamsters.com

Beans

Re: Back on winxp

hehe, I was thinking this would be another ubuntu sucks im going to windows thread.

Sorry to find out that xp dident work for you, you could try a dif mouse?
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans
    Hidden!

games? that's what parks are for, son.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I personally wouldn't play golf on a stormy day. For these days, Tiger Woods 2k6 works like a charm (and I can sink puts from longer than 2 metres )

Although I can always try Links LS (the first one, which was also the first computer game I owned) under wine. And another point for gaming is... beating my dad is a pleasure, and we don't play together that often now.
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blackant
    Don't think I would go back to windows again. (unless I am going to play games again, hopefully not)
    A console would be a good investment for this (my best friend does it that way).
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn
    A console would be a good investment for this (my best friend does it that way).
    This is what I did except the XBOX hasn't been out of linux in a while now

alternatively just wipeXP and reinstall with no network/internet access.
    Last XMAS I was doing this for my father and adding spyware/adware/anti-virus I was dloading and actually got infected while doing this!

I think even Win98 is a bit less prone to being attacked than XP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The consoles option sounds more and more appealing with time... as long as you don't mind most games are "surprisingly" simmilar. I mean, you have sports (and you are served with one or two that's not from the first year of the console) and shooters and fighters. Once in a while you find some cool platform game, but that happens once in a time.

I love sims (realistic sims, not arcade sims), and these are rare. I also love some RPG games... of the old school, those that make you thing. You might jump with... TES IV: Oblivion!!!! It will be out on March for... the XBox 360. And then I start with the philosophical objections:
    • On one hand I have the XBox 360. It is expensive. It is from microsoft (the ones from MS Office, the ones from FAT patents, etc.).
    • You also have the Playstation 3. It will be more expensive. It is from Sony (remember the DRM rootlkit?).
    • Lastly, you have the Nintendo Revolution. I have always thought that nintendo makes games for children... though some think they are terribly original and fun. It could be they are right (if I choose right, too)

So I can't support a MS product, because they make my life MUCH more difficult (ever found yourself with grant fillout papers in .docs unreadable with OOo??).

I would feel guilty if I bought a product from a company that is closely related to another equally named company that abuses its customers illegally. Also, this company loves propietary formats even more than MS.

And lastly I have to change my mind about gaming if I am to like the Revoultion. Please bear in mind I was a Megadrive user, not a SuperNES. I am reluctant to buy something I don't know I will like (logically).

sorry for the long rant
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I have to spend everyday scanning for spywares, virus and clean up registry.

Worst still, most of the time they are not be detected. and I am not sure whether or not it is being infected.
    Visit my hamsters lover site
    http://www.sghamsters.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by blackant
    I have to spend everyday scanning for spywares, virus and clean up registry.

Worst still, most of the time they are not be detected. and I am not sure whether or not it is being infected.
    If this can comfort you, my father can't turn the computer off in Winxp any more. Whenever he tries to shut it down it only reboots. The Power button is the only way to turn it off.

It works fine in Ubuntu though.

He doesn't want to reinstall Windows because his recovery disk (by Compaq) will erase his entire hard disk

Beans

You could just dual boot. Make a small partition for Win xp. (You will need at least 10 gigs of space for this.) Then once you have it installed make sure you have a firewall installed before you do anything else. Then download and install your latest drivers. After this go to Windows Update and get all of your updates. Now if you are not going to need the internet for multiplayer games you can go into services.msc and turn the network off. Then you install your games and just use this partition is your wintendo. You will need to do a reinstall of Ubuntu because Win XP likes to erase the grub. This is pretty much what I did and it works out great for me.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast