View Poll Results: Do you think I should go for it?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

5 100.00%

Thread: Do you think this would be good idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Do you think this would be good idea?

Hello,

I have had it with this ATI card. I can not return this laptop.(HP elitebook 8530w MobileWorkstation)

BUT, I did find a deal on the nVidia graphics card replacement part ($366). It is just like a PCI card with no fan or heat sink or any complicated stuff like that. This laptop just dosn't have a fan or heat sink for the GPU.

I have two concerns though.

1. Do you think it will be super crazy hard to open up the laptop and replace it?

2. The part's condition is "Tested Working"... It is from "FTGInternational". Do you think I'll get screwed and get a bunk part?
    Last edited by HunterThomson; May 17th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Re: Do you think this would be good idea?

My vote: no.

You'll be better off as it is. If the ATi graohics is the problem, then maybe you should trouble shoot this part instead of thinking of replacing something that works?
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

laptops are a pain to do anything with your better off to just bite the bullet and wait to buy a new one in the future

Beans
    Distro

sell the laptop on ebay and buy something else instead.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linpus View Post
    sell the laptop on ebay and buy something else instead.
    Hum, ya I guess I could do that but why would someone buy it. They would have no warranty.

My big problem there is that I scrwed ebay and didn't pay. So, now I can't sell on ebay. I would have to have someone ells sell it for me... I guess this is the best option though.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; May 17th, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by khelben1979 View Post
    My vote: no.

You'll be better off as it is. If the ATi graohics is the problem, then maybe you should trouble shoot this part instead of thinking of replacing something that works?
    Nope your just wrong.

There is no getting this ATI card to work.

ATI hates Linux. They do not support linux. There new catalyst 9.5 dosn't even suport kernel 2.6.29. Even if I get this card to work now in two three months I'll be in the same boat.

Beans
    Distro

Well I opened it up and the grafics card is under the keyboard. It is easy to get to expet it dose have a heat sink attached to it.

That is that suff is it glue or clay-like?

Will I be able to resuse the heat sink?

Beans

What's the model of the graphics card?
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro

Ya, I guess if I pay $366 for the card I risk braking the laptop and losing the full $850 I spent on the laptop.

But, if I sell it for $434. I still take a $366 hit but don't risk losing the full $850...

Well the math is simple. I should sell it. I am sure someone will pay $434