Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, Explain This to me...

Beans

OK, Explain This to me...

How in the **** does Ubuntu 9.04 run better on my 2.2GHz Santa Rosa MacBook Pro than Leopard does?

Leopard has been extremely buggy for me. Sleeping problems (written off as a "hardware" issue by the Geniuses), hard drive corruption (been through 2 drives, third is starting to look kinda flaky), poorer and poorer battery life, etc. I'm beginning to wonder if the problem lies in the computer hardware or the OS. From what I remember, Tiger was nothing like this.

Not to mention the fact that the hinges are so loose on this thing when I don't have the display all the way open, it closes itself, and the internal display cable is either loose or broken.

So, as soon as 9.04 became available I downloaded the 64-bit version and installed it using BootCamp. Some tinkering to get Apple-specific features working, and I have an extremely stable OS.

If I didn't have an iPod Touch (and pay almost 2-grand for this darn computer that's flaking out after a year and a half). I remember playing with Red Hat 7 and Fedora 1 back in the "old" days and thought: neat toy, but nothing serious. Linux (and Ubuntu) certainly has come a long way.

So if anyone would care to explain why my MacBook Pro is much faster, more efficient, and longer lasting on Ubuntu 9.04 than Apple's latest and greatest Leopard, I would much appreciate it.

That is all.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: OK, Explain This to me...

As far as speed goes, Ubuntu (and linux in general) have lower system requirements than a lot of operating systems. The recommended amount of RAM for Ubuntu is only 384MB, and it runs very well on 512. Mandriva (another distro) only recommends 256MB. I don't know anything about the design of Leopard, but Apple may have given it higher system requirements than Linux distros generally have, which could explain why Ubuntu runs faster for you.

I also have a MacBook (4,1 model, non-pro) and I am also seeing problems creep up. My computer is only 8 months old. I have put my MacBook to sleep and have come back to find it turned off when I know no one else was anywhere near it, and have had startup problems where the computer will restart itself twice before booting. Applications are also crashing more often. The screen and the keyboard now touch when the laptop is closed, leaving a constant mark on the screen. None of those things happened at first. I hope I don't have any more problems.
    Last edited by aufan19; May 17th, 2009 at 03:20 AM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux is a great OS!

I like OSX too though, and I don't have any of these issues on my iMac5,1 or my MacbookPro4,1. Good Luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by tgpuckett View Post
    If I didn't have an iPod Touch (and pay almost 2-grand for this darn computer that's flaking out after a year and a half).
    But that is sooo last year. You need a new computer. Macs are designed to look good, not last.
    -----
    Disillusioned former Mac fan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

One of the nice things about apple is that they pump a bunch of power into it to run their operating system, when it gets to run something lighter it flies.

And I agree with Doncr, get a new computer you can get something more than strong enough for Ubuntu for cheap because you don't need another OS .
    The life which men praise and regard as successful is but one kind. Why should we exaggerate any one kind at the expense of others?
    --Henry David Thoreau

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: OK, Explain This to me...

many many ways ubuntu takes lower system requirements then leopard does, macintosh computers have much higher technical specifications to accommodate leopard then what preinstalled linux computers does
    the differant graphic refresh rates are differant
    sound refresh rates are similar but differant
    the graphic processors in macs are pretty good to accommodate leopard's "special effects"
    so before i finish this up lemme give give you a heads up
    you have a really, really, good graphics and cpu processors so take advantage of that and get compiz and use alot of special effects because they will work great!!

Beans
    Distro

sooooooooo untrue Macintosh computers are not just about looks they are complex in there coding and user ability, but yes apple strives for fantastic gui's, but still they do last because if you ever noticed they update macs with, battery updates, graphic updates, and many more

Beans

Leopard is a big OS, it consumes a lot of resources(too much if you ask me) and as such, its not the quickest cat in the neighborhood, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure why

I'm impressed with jaunty and I'm running the kubuntu flavor, I still like OSX. I've gotten Kubuntu to replace my need for windows and I can easily seeing this replacing the need for a lot of my OSX stuff, i.e., running in kubuntu the majority of time.

I still have some issues with kubuntu that I'm trying to work out, sleep, switching gpu, etc. Minor ones but ones that slow me down. I hate needing to shut my machine down but I also don't want to run it 24x7 either. Sleep is the answer. I may downgrade to 8.04 and see how that is the ability to sleep. I've tried both versions of the nvidia driver and it still doesn't work, but I digress.

All in all, I think ubuntu, particularly kubuntu offers a lot to people and to myself, it provides a slick interface with some nice eye candy. An OS that doesn't require a lot of resources but yet is powerful and stable.

Beans

If I could afford a new computer right now, I would have one. I think the QC of Apple's products has declined only recently. As in since the move to Intel. I remember owning a 12" Powerbook, and that thing never had so much as a hiccup. My 1.42GHz G4 Mac mini is the same way. Die-hard reliability.

I don't know if EFI is flaky, or if they've just gotten lazy with Leopard and the new MacBooks, but I had an original MacBook and my current MacBook Pro. Both are (and have been) problem-prone. My girlfriend's MacBook (a newer rev than my old one) has had to have the hinges tightened up several times, had elements of the case replaced, and have the heatsink/fan assembly replaced. Coupled with a HDD failure and a CD-DVD drive that came from the factory misaligned and unable to read a CD.

I am all but done with Apple. Seriously. You pay $2000 for a computer and get something that lasts a year or two?

I am thinking of buying a Dell mini or some other Netbook and an iMac or some other desktop when I can afford one. I have heard that iMacs have much better reliability in the real world (not some fake Consumer Reports magazine test lab).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgpuckett View Post
    I am thinking of buying a Dell mini or some other Netbook and an iMac or some other desktop when I can afford one. I have heard that iMacs have much better reliability in the real world (not some fake Consumer Reports magazine test lab).
    Same boat as you. Looking at a netbook for portable computing, with an inexpensive desktop at home for back ups, admin, etc. (so,. a dust collector really...)

I love macs, you can get a basic winders desktop cheaper than a miniMac and make Jaunty or something else the primary partition. Unless you NEED MacOS, seems to me, would be a better option for the $$ anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast