Code:
    # Linux installation on /dev/hdi5.
    image=/pci@f2000000/ACARD,6280M@14/@2:5,/boot/vmlinux
        label=hdi-ubuntu
        #root=/pci@f2000000/ACARD,6280M@14/@2:5
        root=/dev/hdi5
        append="ro quiet nosplash"    
        initrd=/pci@f2000000/ACARD,6280M@14/@2:5,/boot/initrd.img
    I suggest to use 'nosplash' because the splash image can make some problems on PPC, and you can see what happens during booting
    As you did before, you will get an error because you give two values of root.
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Adding Ubuntu to Multiboot Drive on PPC G4 DA

Things are taking longer than usual. When I got to my Linux experiment, I redid the .conf file and produced the following:

## This is the config file for the /dev/hdi drive
    ##
    ## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
    ## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
    ##
    ## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
    ## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ
    ## Modified: 5/17/09

fgcolor=yellow
    bgcolor=black

boot=/dev/hdi2
    device=/pci@f2000000/ACARD,6280M@14/@2:
    partition=3
    root=/dev/hdi3
    timeout=100
    install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    enablecdboot
    macosx=/dev/hda3

image=/boot/vmlinux
    label=debian
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="quiet splash"

image=/boot/vmlinux
    root=/dev/hdi5
    label=ubuntu
    read-only
    device=/pci@f2000000/ACARD,6280M@14/@2:
    partition=5
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img

image=/boot/vmlinux
    root=/dev/hdg3
    label=hdg-ubuntu
    read-only
    device=/pci@f2000000/ACARD,6280M@14/@0:
    partition=3
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img

image=/boot/vmlinux
    root=/dev/hdb3
    label=hdb-debian
    read-only
    device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@1:
    partition=3
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img

This operated the same as the other .conf file, launching all of the distros on the hdb, hdg, and the hdi3 disks. I still received the unknown or corrupt filesystem error message when trying to launch Ubuntu from /dev/hdi5. I think this more or less throws out any chance that the .conf file construction is at fault. There has to be something wrong in the /dev/hdi5 root partition or in the partitioning of the /dev/hdi drive. More exploration is now required.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

With a lot of work and perseverance I've got a working multiboot drive. Since the first four partitions of the hdi drive contained a working distro, I left that alone. I made the last 200G of the drive unallocated. I then used mac-fdisk to create a New World Boot block on hdi5, a 100G root partition on hdi6 and a 2G swap partition on hdi 7. I used mkofboot to correctly format and install yaboot on the hdi5 boot partition. I used mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdi6 to format the hdi6 partition to accept the files for the root. I also used mkswap to set hdi7 up to be used at the next boot up for the swap area for Ubuntu on hdi6.

Using my hdb drive I made two mount points: one for the Ubuntu partition now working on my hdg drive and one for the empty hdi6 partition. I mounted both partitions with hdg on a point I called old and the hdi6 partition on a point I named new. I then did a "cp -a old/* new" to copy all the files and subdirectories as well as all the symbolic links from the hdg partition to the hdi6 partition. Note: it is good practice if you are copying partitions that you be in an environment where both partitions are idle and not being used at the time. I sometimes use Finnix on CD as it gives me a command line environment and a guarantee that none of my partitions are being used.

After the copy was completed I umounted /dev/hdg3 and used vi to change the /etc/fstab file on hdi6 so that /dev/hdi6 was mounted as / and /dev/hdi7 was mounted as swap. I then unmounted the /dev/hdi6 partition and created a yaboot.conf file on my hdb drive pointing to /dev/hdi6 as primary and all the other distro's as additional menu picks. In my hdb environment I did a:
    ybin -b /dev/hdi5 -C newyaboot.conf.file -v,
    which configured the yaboot partition for the /dev/hdi6 Ubuntu. I then restarted with the option key down on power up so that I was in the startup manager. I verified that I had four distro's and my MacOSX showing and that when I selected the hdi5 distro icon (that is the one selected as it was just configured) and hit the right pointing arrow key, that I got the right menu. I selected the hdi6 Ubuntu and I was in. I later verified that the other menu picks also picked the other distro's and my MacOSX. Whew!

Beans

Its Nice reading for me !

Dzone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12