Thread: Xubuntu + Skype 4 Linux = Unreliable

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Xubuntu + Skype 4 Linux = Unreliable

Hi all,

I know there are many different topics about Skype for Linux, but I have tried all of those with no avail. When I load skype sometimes I'll get the startup sound, sometimes I won't. I always do the test call because of the unreliability. Here's the big kicker, sometimes I'll get the startup and test sounds to work, but I won't be able to hear the person on the other end. Video works with no trouble at all. I think this might be related to pulse audio fighting with alsa. If I am listening to music when I start up skype, I get no sound at all out of skype. Is there anyone out here with similar problems? Any solutions will be tried and are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Justin
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Xubuntu + Skype 4 Linux = Unreliable

Found a solution. I got rid of padevchooser and replaced it with Ear Candy 0.4. Ear candy makes it easy to use skype, I haven't encountered a problem with it.

Justin
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    - Terry Pratchett