Thread: gnome slow performance on 64bit server editions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

gnome slow performance on 64bit server editions

Hi,
    I have some powerfull servers (HP and IBM with xeon core quad processors and 4gb of ram), I have installed the amd64- 9.04 server edition on them,then installed the ubuntu-desktop on them, but the desktop environment runs really slow! I have disabled all the visual effects,they are performing even slower than my core duo laptop. does any one know what would be the problem?
    thanks
    Last edited by chakoshi; May 16th, 2009 at 08:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: gnome slow performance on 64bit server editions

From what I hear, you don't need the GUI on server, in fact it only slows it down. Could it be that whatever your computer is "serving" is bogging down the computer? Also, I know that people who install KDE on Ubuntu (Which has GNOME as the default) have much more trouble with it than if they simply installed Kubuntu. So, if you wish to use GNOME, perhaps you should just install the desktop version of Ubuntu and see if that works better?
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: gnome slow performance on 64bit server editions

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007 View Post
    From what I hear, you don't need the GUI on server, in fact it only slows it down. Could it be that whatever your computer is "serving" is bogging down the computer? Also, I know that people who install KDE on Ubuntu (Which has GNOME as the default) have much more trouble with it than if they simply installed Kubuntu. So, if you wish to use GNOME, perhaps you should just install the desktop version of Ubuntu and see if that works better?
    you may be right, I think the server edition is not going to run gnome better than this; as I have only servers at work, I have to install gnome on one of the servers to use it as a desktop pc; thank you for your reply