Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin HDMI and HDTV setup issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Pangolin HDMI and HDTV setup issues

I have pangolin running 9.04. I have been unable to get my hdtv to display my desktop. Here's what i have tried:

Nvidia Server X Config, detect displays = samsung hdtv detected; configured as twin view.

Tried pressing Fn F7 to switch to display = no joy.

Noted someone else having to save to x conf file, tried to do this, but got an error message saying 'Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'.

This same person mentioned disabling default screen and retrying = no joy.

I also tried to dowload the new system 76 drivers and it says that the utitlity only suports up to 8.10... Is this correct?

I am still kind of a newb to Ubuntu. Thanks for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Pangolin HDMI and HDTV setup issues

Noted someone else having to save to x conf file, tried to do this, but got an error message saying 'Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'.
    That's because you must run nvidia-settings as root. So open a terminal and then run...

sudo nvidia-settings

I also tried to dowload the new system 76 drivers and it says that the utitlity only suports up to 8.10... Is this correct?
    You need to download the most recent version of the driver.

The System76 Driver comes installed on your system and is located in your menu at System > Administration > System76 Driver. Any updates to the System76 Driver will be detected by Update Manager.

If you have performed a fresh Ubuntu installation, you will need to install and run the System76 Driver. To install it, go to...

http://planet76.com/repositories

...and download the latest driver .deb package. The latest driver will always be the second link from the bottom. Save it to your Desktop.
    Once it has downloaded, double-click the icon on your desktop and follow the prompts to install it. Once you are finished, it will appear at System > Administration > System76 Driver.

The first time you run the driver after a fresh installation, you will need to click the Restore System tab and the Restore button. This will modify your software sources file so that any future driver updates will be available via Update Manager.

After running the driver the first time, you no longer need to use its restore fucntionality. You can just use the Install Drivers tab and the Install button to install any necessary drivers.

If for some reason you get a GPG Key error when trying to update, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run this command to fix it.

wget -q http://planet76.com/repositories/system76_dev.pub -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update

I got your voicemail, but haven't been able to test yet. If someone else can provide some instructions, that will be great. Otherwise, I'll post back here a little later today with instructions.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Type sudo nvidia-settings

to be able to change your X-config

Have you tried the Clone Display option?

Lastly make sure you are Clicking Apply to save your settings.

Does this help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, I checked that on my HDMI monitor. It looks like all is working well, but I never get a picture on the monitor.

I'll check it's menu settings to make sure it doesn't have some sleep mode enabled.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

D'oh! There is a bloody toggle switch on this monitor that goes from VGA > DVI > HDMI. Once I put it on HDMI, everything worked as expected. So, Lee_Machine's instructions should work perfectly.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Machine View Post
    Type sudo nvidia-settings

to be able to change your X-config

Have you tried the Clone Display option?

Lastly make sure you are Clicking Apply to save your settings.

Does this help?
    I can now save the xconfig, but i am still unable to pull the screen up on the TV.

Is the clone display option your talking about under the position drop down menu?
    I tried this but it didn't want to save this selection. Always came back as absolute or right of. tried saving to xconfig and restarting x (I assume this means closing the window and opening it up again via terminal) and "apply"

Still not having any luck. I wonder if it has something to do with 1080i vs 1080p?

It also says in a black box with a triagle/ruler cannot set config settings for crtc 321 when i switch to the other screen (pressing FnF7).

Any thoughts? Again, i really appreciate your time! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't think you have to push the Fn-F7. You should be able to do it all through...

sudo nvidia-settings

The "clone" setting is in the position drop-down. There is another setting there that (I don't have an nvidia machine at home with me right now) that says Twin View. You should use that as well.

If you are detecting the TV, but not able to pull up a picture on it, check the TV's buttons and/or menu settings. You may have to specify that it gets its image from the hdmi port.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

I talked with one of my buddies and he seems to think that it may be because my hdtv is a CRT 1080i and not a LCD hdtv. He says CRTs don't do per pixel rendering that the LCDs do, so the TV may not be able to display the picture. Does this make sense to anyone, and can someone confirm/deny this theory? Thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

CRT's can be problematic...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=483285
    ...but, typically, you can get *some* type of output.

You could try manually configuring your xorg.conf file. Make sure you save a back-up of your old one in case you have to revert back to it (and you probably will).

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
    If it doesn't work, you can revert with...

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo reboot -h now
    Here is an example of how your CRT would fit into the file...
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/34525

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

im having a similar issue, i've got the external screen on. but there is all ways an issues in the form of one of the following-

-using the correct resolution for the external
    -unresponsive input: mouse gets stuck on one screen apps open on the other or just stops working all together...
    -changes resolution on laptop

what i'm looking for is the external to act like a second monitor (using its own resolution) that i can move my mouse to and put separate applications on (separate X screen right?)

Unfortunately the nvidia settings app has proven to be a little confusing to me... or may be just misleading. Is there a good reference that im missing out on anyone knows of that would help me out?

Is this how the the graphics(UI) are supposed to act? if so i feel bad for any newcomers buying from s76, i have feeling they would just see it as broken, when it really just needs to be tweaked correctly
    Last edited by miniyak; May 28th, 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: word missing
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast