Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Erm, Padi yw fy enw i, ac dwi'n meddwl fy mod i wedi ymuno a'r grwp, (ond heb edrych ar y wefan ers tipyn). Wedi bod yn ddefnyddio Karmic ers dwy mis, ond wedi cael probelmmau yn ddiweddar efo'r 'driver' cerdyn graffeg ATi - er mi wnaeth o weithio'n wych am y ddwyfis! (Nawr dwi yn ol ar 9.04) Dechreuais ef Ubuntu yn ddifrifol tua blwyddyn yn ol, ond yn dal i ddysgu. Rwy'n ddefnyddio'r gweithfan Cymraeg wrth gwrs, er weithiau mae hyn yn golygu crafu fy mhen tr'a ceisio dyfalu'r iaith technegol Cymraeg!!

Rwy'n byw yng Nghaerdydd ac yn ddefnyddio Ubuntu pob dydd.

Erm, I'm Padi, andi think I joind the group, (but haven't visited the webpage for a while). I've been using Karmic for about two months,but had problems lately with the driver for the ATi graphics card - although it worked wonderfully for the two months! (Now I'm back on 9.04) I started with Ubuntu about a year ago, but still learning. I use the Welsh language desktop of course, though at times this means spending time scratching my head until I work out what the technical Welsh language means!!

I live in Cardiff and use Ubuntu every day.
    Nid yw Anarchiaeth am anrhefn a chwal, ond am Ryddid, Cyfrifoldeb a Threfn
    Anarchy isn't about chaos and disorder, it's about Freedom, Responsibility and Order.

Beans

Talking Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Hello!

I'm Ciaran, probably the youngest on the team. I'm currently in Year 8 of Ysgol Gyfyn Gymraeg Bryn Tawe in Swansea, studying the whole curriculum, because I have to. If I had a choice, I would choose to study Welsh, Geography, Design Tech (Electronics), Music and most definitely ICT. I do code, mainly in PHP and HTML, and use Ubuntu amongst other distributions (obviously based on Debian) to test out my scripts. I run a fully-featured weblog and write websites for others for the fun of it.

That's me for you, and it's all your getting for now!

Beans

Hi all,

I bumped into the irc channel on freenode a couple of days ago so I thought i'd introduce myself here.

I'm in my final year of a software engineering degree at Glamorgan, mostly run Ubuntu server for Java development stuff - glassfish, apache, subversion repo etc. I've done some welsh translation for open source stuff in the past, something i should pick up again - it's a time thing,

Hwyl,
    Beds

Beans

Hi!!!

I'm from Cwmbran but living in Risca now. I'm doing Teacher Training at the moment. I'm thinking of starting a class teaching Linux - evening class-type thing. Great to know that there is local people on the Ubuntu Forums. I've turned away slightly from Ubuntu itself recently - I've been using OpenSUSE 11.2 as my dependable/everyday system- but I keep coming back to the Ubuntu Forums because I've been also using Crunchbang Linux and Mint (and Debian).

In terms of the class I mentioned, I'm wondering if you guys/gals could be someone I could "use" as an advisor if I have a query, say?? Or perhaps you know of local people who want to learn how to "do " linux but have no way of learning in a class situation?? Or any ideas?? I could start a class, really, anywhere in the Pontypool/Cwmbran/Risca/Newport/Caerphilly areas..

I've been using Linux for less than a year now. I've put in many hours though.. My theme seems to be getting older machines to run (hence Crunchbang usage). Here's an example story for you..

I went to pick my kids up for the weekend..

They have an old PC in the hallway, in the way. They say no-one wants it. And apparently, I can have it. Next week it was in the back garden with the side off - rain covering the cover on the floor next to the tower. I take it back home with me. The PC I'm typing this on is that one. Now that word has got back (through my son, bless him!) that I've got it working (with Windows 2000 already on there) they now want it back.... The only reason they were chucking it out was because they didn't know the password on 2000!! (safe mode,change etc) It just goes to show how much wastage there is in terms of PCs etc.

Also, I need to buy my own desktop, any ideas? There's a shop near me but they're selling refurbs for around £200. Think I can get them cheaper.. Maybe freeads?? I'll try that.

Got to buy my own because every time someone gives me a PC they don't want, they want it back once I've "Linuxed" it!

PS Tell me more about this Ubuntu Cymru thing then!!!

PPS Tony, you might know my mate who works in the Pension Centre!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi

There was a lot of discussion about doing Linux classes a while back on the ubuntu-uk mailing list. There is a wiki page at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning

Tony

PS You really shoul be using Ubuntu!
    PPS Who is your mate at the Pension Centre?

Tony

Beans

hello my name is sam and im an ubuntuolic.

i have been using on an off for three years. 10.04 is the best i have ever used.

i come from cardiff. not usually on IRC but if u wanna MSN me let me know.

would love to know some other welsh people out there who actually use ubuntu.

oh i cant code my way out of a wet paper bag. i just use ubuntu. i dont play with it.
    hehe

(allergic to caps)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,
    I'm Richard - I hope you don't mind, I'm not resident in Wales but I'm a frequent visitor to Cardiff (for work) and Sketty (Swansea) to see family.

Beans

Hi All,
    I'm Chris (yes another one ), 29, and I live in Llanelli, work in Bridgend. I have been involved in support for the best part of 10years. My current role is as a Unix Administrator and have a broad experience in most flavours of *nix. I also run a small business from home and have a couple of 'servers' running U10.04 - they started on 8.04 - I am slowly converting my family and friends to GNU/Linux with a strong lean to Ubuntu (and its derivatives ). I have done a little bit of everything in computing and like to explain my solutions to no techies a Star Trek way ("...like putting too much air into a balloon").
    I also build sites in HTML/PHP/MySQL when I can get a free 5 mins.
    I might not know the answer but I know where to find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi

Despite the log in name I am actually Alan. Down in sunny (ha ha - hmmm!) Pembrokeshire. I run CentOS on my local network server (10 clients) but have just installed Lucid Linx on an old machine to have a looka t Ubuntu. It is very odd, not knowing where everything is. (xorg.conf for one thing).

I am hoping that I can start a *nix group in my local village hall. Got to do some advertising first though. Not a lot of folks around here seem to know much about Linux. The poor devils are brainwashed by that four eyed American and his cronies; and of course the fact that no one in Government or our Assembly seems to pay much attention to open source IT, that is, apart from lipservice.

Beans

Thumbs down Hello

Hi all im Lisa. How are you all? Do people still read this?
    Anyway im from newport/cwmbran area and have just installed ubuntu 12.04

was just lookking around to see how many british/welsh people are using ubuntu forums.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast