Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

i like how NOBODY addressed Giant Speck's statement about HMR being two years older than Canonical.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rainstride View Post
    and coincidentally whether or not it was made from scratch it is still a blatant rip off of the ubuntu logo witch is copyrighted by Canonical. it was probably "made" by some small company that though it would never be noticed.(as if though the 20millon or more ubuntu user would never see it.)
    Again, this is nothing more than speculation. We do not know the true intentions of HMR Group. People here see an almost identical logo and automatically assume that HMR Group did it on purpose.

Did they really do it on purpose? We're never going to know unless there is solid proof that HMR Group intentionally copied the logo.

The fact that HMR Group's logo is nearly identical to Ubuntu's logo simply proves that a trademark violation has been made, but the logo itself does not prove whether or not HMR Group's use of the logo was malicious, nor does it prove that HMR Group knew about the trademark in the first place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    i like how NOBODY addressed Giant Speck's statement about HMR being two years older than Canonical.
    I'm no longer using that as an argument because while HMR Group is older than Canonical, there is no evidence to show that HMR Group had been using the logo before Canonical had.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the question isn't if they are older, its if they had the logo at the time. and if they have a copyright on it. iv seen companies get a new logo after years of being around.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    I'm no longer using that as an argument because while HMR Group is older than Canonical, there is no evidence to show that HMR Group had been using the logo before Canonical had.
    and i gathered that, but it's interesting how nobody touched it with a ten foot pole.

blinders anyone?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainstride View Post
    the question isn't if they are older, its if they had the logo at the time. and if they have a copyright on it. iv seen companies get a new logo after years of being around.
    hey look, someone addressed it.

Beans

It's because it's an irrelevant argument, really, rather than "who had the logo first?"

Also, HMR Group's Logo seems to have changed:
    Disregard that, I was looking at the wrong website lol.
    Last edited by Tristam Green; May 15th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Again, this is nothing more than speculation. We do not know the true intentions of HMR Group. People here see an almost identical logo and automatically assume that HMR Group did it on purpose.

Did they really do it on purpose? We're never going to know unless there is solid proof that HMR Group intentionally copied the logo.

The fact that HMR Group's logo is nearly identical to Ubuntu's logo simply proves that a trademark violation has been made, but the logo itself does not prove whether or not HMR Group's use of the logo was malicious, nor does it prove that HMR Group knew about the trademark in the first place.
    true, im not saying hmr did it on purpose. most companies hire design groups to make logos and things like this. so, hmr probably has no clue. that being said, the chances that whoever made this just so happened to come up with the same logo as ubuntu off the top of his head is slim to none.

Beans
    Hidden!

yes, who had the logo first? it's quite plausible that HMR did. so until we know that, they didn't "steal" a thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    It's because it's an irrelevant argument, really, rather than "who had the logo first?"
    Which is why I'm not arguing that portion of my statement any more. Even if HMR Group's logo is older than Canonical's, there is no way to prove it.

I think pwnst*r is making a point that not even he realizes he's making. And that is, no one is reading my posts fully. They're taking bits and pieces out of my posts and are twisting my words.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast