Thread: Recording silence or make Mediatomb stop

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Recording silence or make Mediatomb stop

I'd like to be able to create a MP3 file with 1 hour of silence in it.

The reason for this is my media server (Mediatomb) repeats albums when it gets to the end. This is annoying. I've not found any settings to make it stop after playing all the files in a directory. My solution to this is to put a one hour silent MP3 file as the last track in each directory.

Obviously if anyone knows how to stop Mediatomb just going back to the beginning of an album that would be a better solution. I'm using the 'PC-Directory' method of browsing for files.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Recording silence or make Mediatomb stop

You can use a sound editor like Audacity to create a MP3 file with 1 hour of silence like this:
    1. Start Audacity
    2. Select Tracks > Add New > Audio Track
    3. Select Generate > Silence... > Enter duration
    4. Select File > Export... > Enter name and select MP3 Files as type > Click Options... and set MP3 options > Click Save
    5. Metadata seems unnecessary, just click OK

But frankly the 1 hour silence method doesn't seem to be the best. My advice is to ask this question in the Mediatomb forums: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediatomb/forums

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks lykeion. You are correct it's better to fix Mediatomb. I'll use Audacity to create the silent MP3 until I get an answer on the Mediatomb forum. If there's a way I'll post that up here.

I'll mark this as solved as you've answered the question.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Problem does not lie with MediaTomb as it just serves up what it's asked for. The problem lies with the media playing device. This doesn't have the settings to stop this. So, silence is the way forward. A link to the silent MP3 file from each directory works fine with MediaTomb.