Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCLinuxOS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Question PCLinuxOS

Has anyone tried this distribution? What did you think of it? Thanks for the input.
    registered linux user # 191485
    There's no place like ~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: PCLinuxOS

Quote Originally Posted by veloct
    Has anyone tried this distribution? What did you think of it? Thanks for the input.
    Theoretically, I think it's awesome. It's a live CD and installer CD combined. It's slick-looking and newbie-friendly, especially to the GUI-oriented.

Even though it's based on Mandriva, it uses Synaptic Package Manager for software installation, and it includes DiskDrake (a wonderfully reliable and powerful disk partitioning program).

It also includes a lot of the proprietary codecs many Ubuntu users complain about Ubuntu lacking.

There are a few reasons I don't use it, though:

1. The layout of their support forum scares me. I don't even know where to begin.

2. PCLinuxOS doesn't recognize my sound card or my USB mouse. Ubuntu does.

3. I kind of like the idea of starting out totally free and then adding any non-free codecs I may need later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Theoretically, I think it's awesome. It's a live CD and installer CD combined. It's slick-looking and newbie-friendly, especially to the GUI-oriented.

Even though it's based on Mandriva, it uses Synaptic Package Manager for software installation, and it includes DiskDrake (a wonderfully reliable and powerful disk partitioning program).

It also includes a lot of the proprietary codecs many Ubuntu users complain about Ubuntu lacking.

There are a few reasons I don't use it, though:

1. The layout of their support forum scares me. I don't even know where to begin.

2. PCLinuxOS doesn't recognize my sound card or my USB mouse. Ubuntu does.

3. I kind of like the idea of starting out totally free and then adding any non-free codecs I may need later.
    That's the basic list as to why I don't really use it either. The forum is strange Lol.
    "The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today is my own government, for the sake of the hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence... I cannot remain silent." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Beans

I tried it out on a LiveCD about a year ago. It seemed like a cool distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I think they do very well for such a small team, really. their mailing list is a lot easier to use , but yeah, their forum is a bit awkward

But I always recommemnd it as an option as it is a nice liveCD with a good install routine. (to be honest, I have never tried the Ubuntu liveCD)

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

PCLinuxOS is fantastic for somebody that needs a system with all the bells and whistles, and wants them fast. It doesn't seem as stable as Ubuntu...the live CD is fantastic...and the legality of the whole thing is questionable.

Linspire might be a better option for the same audience that PCLinuxOS is targeting. It's not bad at all--and that's coming from a die hard Ubuntu and Gnome user.
    Last edited by landotter; January 12th, 2006 at 02:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

itchy trigger finger--double post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

PcLinuxOs is a great distro. It worked out of the box on my two boxes, unlike Ubuntu I'm sorry to say. The old forum was clanky, but the new one is much better. You should check it out: http://www.pclinuxos.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I gave it a shot and was really hoping to like it. I had many problems with the install, but I think it was the disk, after that fiasco, I did get it up and running for a week or so, but one thing that that made me remove it was it would hang on start up all the time looking for printers that were never there.
    I had mixed feelings about it too. I really like the layout of the control center and how it all flowed together but It also felt like it was a M$ knock off. I still use the live cd instead of knoppix to show friends and co workers, but it pretty much just stopped working for me.

the only real thing I did not like about it was that it uses rpms. I thought we were advancing. that would be like M$ using FAT again. oh well, I am not hating on it cause I really do like it and it would be the one I would use if it were not for ubuntu.
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. and I would like a double tall no foam soy latte no whip!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by closeyourwindows
    the only real thing I did not like about it was that it uses rpms. I thought we were advancing. that would be like M$ using FAT again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast