Thread: Copying A CD-Rom To A SD Card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Copying A CD-Rom To A SD Card

Hello everyone. My wife is in college and needs to use a cd that came with one of her textbooks. Her laptop is a netbook Acer Aspire One that does not have a dvd drive. I have both Ubuntu 9.04 and WinXP on my computer. How can I make a legal copy of that cd so it can be loaded on to a SD card and then installed on her netbook? The program will not run without the cd installed in the drive, so it does a check for the disc. What should I try next? The program will run on my Linux box through Wine, yet it still will not run without the disc in the drive. How do I make the cd think it is mounted inti a drive so my wife can use it on her Netbook that does not have a dvd drive in it?

Beans

Re: Copying A CD-Rom To A SD Card

What OS is the netbook running?

Beans

As a bit of a more helpful post you can create an iso image of a disk and then mount it somehow as if it were a cd.

on the linux machine put the cd into the drive and type

Code:
    dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/home/insertnamehere/cdname.iso
    for /dev/scd0 put the name of the block device for your dvd drive.

This may take a while if it is a DVD. After this I can be of no help, I don't know how you mount an iso but i know it can be done.

Beans

I presume that the program is a wondows program.

You can get CD emulators for windows that take an image of a CD and make wondows programd think the CD is in the drive (I saw one on a magazine cover once). Or you could run XP in VirtualBox and mount an image of the CD in the virtual drive.

To make an image file of a CD in Linux use this command:
    sudo dd if=/dev/cdrom of=my-cd.iso

Edit:
    LOL - Snap!

Beans
    Distro

The netbook is running WinXP Home on it.

Beans
    Distro

In Windows I have tried Daemontools and PowerISO with an ISO image that I made from Linux using K3b and it does not work. I made the ISO image and placed it on the SD card and tried running it using PowerISO and Daemontools in Windows but it will not work. It still looks for the cd, so I wonder if it is copy protected. My next bet might be CloneCD in Windows and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro

I got it working by doing what "The Cog" posted. I used this command: sudo dd if=/dev/cdrom of=my-cd.iso and it made the file for me. I them cut and pasted it on the SD card, then I mounted it in WinXP useing PowerISO and now my wife has her study tool for her nursing class. Thank you very much for that help.