Thread: Problem - can't achieve Envy, therefore 3D in Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Problem - can't achieve Envy, therefore 3D in Ubuntu 9.04

Hi again, now I am trying to get 3D, because even the Chess don't give me 3D access to the game and also i have some slowing in ordinary uses of youtube and other video programs.

I use laptop Packard-Bell Easynote MZ35 with Radeon Xpress 200M

I tried to install Envy from the official site, the installation goes smoothly. I must see EnvyNG in my menus, but I don't. After that I can't start Envy:

lukavia@ubuntu:~$ sudo envyng -t
    /usr/bin/envyng: line 6: cd: /usr/share/envy: No such file or directory
    python: can't open file 'interface.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I searched Synaptic for python, but the possibilities are thousands, I even searched google for dependencies with Envy - no success.

Part of lspci - that's my video chip

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

Any help will be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Problem - can't achieve Envy, therefore 3D in Ubuntu 9.04

I know on my computer the default driver that comes with Ubuntu does not do 3D very well so I have to download and install the proprietary driver.
    Have you tried ATI's driver for your card? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
    I thought I should mention that not all of ATI's drivers work with 9.04 (i.e. mine). Hope this helps!
    He is no fool to give what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose. -Jim Elliot

Beans

Yes, i think i tried these drivers last time and after reboot i got blank screen...
    Till the moment the issue is to find out what are the dependencies for python and Envy to work together, but i can't find them in google...

Beans
    Distro

I got the blank screen when I used the driver on 9.04 also.
    python: can't open file 'interface.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
    It appears to me that python can not find the file interface.py. Have you tried installing envyng-qt from synaptic? It appears to me that that would install a gui interface.
    Last edited by Falcon1002; May 13th, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
    He is no fool to give what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose. -Jim Elliot

Beans

Yes, i installed envyng-qt from synaptic. It's not that
    In every case, the drivers from ati.com official site don't work specifically for my video card radeon xpress 200m. I looked over and over on the internet, followed this guide and i had no success. I got blank screen.

If anybody follows this - there is a solution from the blank screen situation.

Start recovery mode after reboot. Choose xfix and after that drop to shell prompt
    Remove everything connected to envy and fglrx.
    Use
    sudo apt-get remove
    and TAB options

Example:
    sudo apt-get remove envy(use TAB to find out all of the packages connected to Envy)
    sudo apt-get remove fglrx(use TAB to find out all of the packages connected to Envy)
    Reboot and voalla, gdm starts like nothing happened

Beans
    Distro

Did the driver work on Ubuntu 8.10? Also have you tried just running the driver installer, not makeing the debs and what not? I don't know a whole lot about drivers I just know what has worked for me and what has not. Sorry if I am not any help.
    Last edited by Falcon1002; May 16th, 2009 at 02:37 AM.

Beans

I haven't started any 3D applications (for example Chess game in Ubuntu) in 8.10, so i am not sure if the driver worked well.
    Falcon1002: What is your video card? Type lspci in terminal if you are not sure And how did you succeed installing the drivers for Ati video cards ?

Beans
    Distro

My video card is a mother board integrated Radeon 1270. On 9.04 I never could get the driver to install on my computer (I did only try once), but on 8.10 it installed nice and easy.
    First I downloaded the driver. After that I made the driver file an executable. Then I ran the file from a terminal (you could just execute it, but I like the terminal it shows me the errors). Finally I rebooted the computer.
    Thanks by the way for the lspci command I did not know that! I learn something new every day!