Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap printer server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cheap printer server?

Okay, I really am getting very little opportunities with different distros because I use a wireless connection. This is because I am on the first floor, and my router and all connections are on the second, I really want to have a nice hardwire connection, is there a nice cheap printer server anyone could suggest? Or a nice guide for connecting to the internet with iwconfig and iwlist to a WPA connection?

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT PRINTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by dragos240; May 13th, 2009 at 02:25 AM.
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cheap printer server?

You don't need much of a computer to build yourself a print server. If you've got an old unused computer, just install the server edition and select print server from the menu during installation.

Beans
    Distro

How? I was actually talking about these types of print servers, although, I have an old computer that used to run xp, it has a nice ethernet port, and wireless capabilities. What I want to know, is can I just have a small computer that does this:
    Connects to a WPA connection,
    and directs the connection via ethernet next to my computer. Is this possible? And how would I got about doing this.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

I'd buy a netbook on Ebay and put it next to the printer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have three printers hung off of a Windows XP machine. And several other printers .. wired/wireless for a total of 7 computers and 6 printers. The XP machine also serves a the ADOBE machine for my photography. SELDOM goes on line.

All it takes is Samba and hook up the printers.

Beans
    Distro

Do people even read the posts now-a-days? I'm not talking about printers!!! A printer server is a small piece of technology that allows an ethernet connection to connect to another ethernet port from a distance directly.
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You are using the wrong terminology, a print server is a computer or other device that printers are connected to. What you are talking about is a wifi access point or a port extender. If you plan on hard wiring your network connection all you need is a cable long enough to make the connection from your router to your computer. The maximum length of an ethernet cable can be 100M, 328ft, for those of you that don't do meters. IF you don't have enough ports, you may need a network switch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    Do people even read the posts now-a-days? I'm not talking about printers!!! A printer server is a small piece of technology that allows an ethernet connection to connect to another ethernet port from a distance directly.
    No it isn't .. a print server is what caraboo907 said .. it works with PRINTERS and is as I described in my previous post.

You are talking what is called and "extender" in some areas but, in reality is an "access point". They can be either Wireless or wired depending on the conditions. Mine is wired because of signal loss caused by building construction. (Concrete block with steel re-bar .. giant radio sink!).
    With my set up, it took a 50' cord and drilling through a couple of walls (including the concrete block) to accomplish the deed.
    Mine is the same brand as my wireless router (D-Link).
    Cheap? .. now that you know what you're looking for, eBay .. that's where I got my unit. (and the cable).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    Connects to a WPA connection,
    and directs the connection via ethernet next to my computer. Is this possible? And how would I got about doing this.
    You mean you want to access the wireless network on your desktop machine? If so, then you can use a usb wireless adapter, eg:

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-USB-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B001DKBNMA/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_url

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFH View Post
    You mean you want to access the wireless network on your desktop machine? If so, then you can use a usb wireless adapter, eg:

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-USB-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B001DKBNMA/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_url
    No. I CAN use wireless, I need a wireless extender (apparently) to connect the router directly to my ethernet port.
    .i coi rodo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast