Thread: Xvidcap audio problem

Beans

Angry Xvidcap audio problem

This may sound like an utterly stupid question but...
    How do you record Audio in Xvidcap? I have all of my microphone settings turned on maximum volume, and the UBuntu Sound recorder works like a charm. I have the latest ALSA drivers and I am running a duel boot with OSX on a unibody macbook.

If no one can answer that question then, how can I make GTK Recordmydesktop not slur my audio? By saying "slur" I mean doing this: And so I wouketosajonaismy name. Translation: And so I would like to say Jonas is my name. It finishes waaay earlier that the video clip ends... It's like it fast fowards on some parts.
    Please help!

Beans

Re: Xvidcap audio problem

bump

Beans

This may sound like an utterly stupid question but...
    How do you record Audio in Xvidcap? I have all of my microphone settings turned on maximum volume, and the UBuntu Sound recorder works like a charm. I have the latest ALSA drivers and I am
    I have this same issue. Unable to trick Google into telling me the answer.

Johnny

Beans

Figured it out! The newest version doesn't include the audio tab in preferences and doesn't support audio due to a bug. Uninstall it through synaptic and install xvidcap_1.1.7intrepid_i386.deb.

I followed these directions and it worked with no config:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...5711/+activity

Johnny

Beans

Hi, still cannot record sound from a flash presentation playing in Firefox.
    Uninstalled Jaunty version, installed intrepid version; got Audio Settings on MultiFrame tab.
    Started xvidcap from terminal as:
    $ padsp xvidcap
    ...to ensure that pulseaudio is being used. However, could not record streaming sound except to capture it via the microphone (built-in or jacked in). How do I:
    1. Mute the microphone so that xvidcap is not picking up microphone sounds from the room (such as me clicking the mouse)?
    2. Get xvidcap to record the streaming audio from a flash animation in Firefox?

If this should "just work", are you aware of bugs in pulseaudio which prevent this from "just working"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: Xvidcap audio problem

This solution worked for me as well. I uninstalled the version installed through the software center. I then downloaded xvidcap_1.1.7jaunty_i386 (the most recent version shown on Sourceforge) from the SourceForge project page for xvidcap http://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidcap/ Audio now works for captures. I am running 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Me too

Thank you for the solution. Too bad the version in the repository does not work right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This solution worked for me as well. I uninstalled the version installed through the software center. I then downloaded xvidcap_1.1.7jaunty_i386 (the most recent version shown on Sourceforge) from the SourceForge project page for xvidcap http://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidcap/ Audio now works for captures. I am running 9.10.
    Worked for me too, but isn't the real problem the GUI? Here is how XvidCap looks on my desktop: http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5559/xvidcapmu.png compared to other screen-dumps of the program-gui I miss some menu buttons.
    I figured out the hot-keys for preference: ctrl+p

Any-body who found the missing buttons?
    Last edited by Lektorvis; March 16th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Lektorvis View Post
    Worked for me too, but isn't the real problem the GUI? Here is how XvidCap looks on my desktop: http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5559/xvidcapmu.png compared to other screen-dumps of the program-gui I miss some menu buttons.
    I figured out the hot-keys for preference: ctrl+p

Any-body who found the missing buttons?
    @Lektorvis: Right click on the button on the left. It's a menu. Bad GUI design, I know.

I'm having problems with "padsp xvidcap"; it's still silent and crackly; nothing gets through.

Beans

I am unable to record audio with padsp xvidcap in 10.10 even though Audacity and Desktop Recorder record audio okay. I have experimented with the settings in Sound Preferences and Pulse-Audio Volume Control but have been unable to record sound with xvidcap. I have been using a VLC video as audio source. There are literally hundreds of combinations to try. I found padsp on Google. Apparently it is a patch to refer to an older sound system in Linux which supposedly enables dev/dsp in Pulse audio and ALSA. I want to use xvidcap instead of Desktop Recorder because the video seems much clearer. I am making How To tutorials about Ubuntu for Youtube. The ones I have made so far have subtitles instead of sound except for a couple of blurry ones made with Desktop Recorder. If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much.