Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

Quote Originally Posted by jkratze1 View Post
    This works great! For those using 64-bit Ubuntu, you need to link the Firefox java plugin libnpjp2.so since libjavaplugin_oji.so is not included with the 64 bit JRE. USAA needs to allow Linux so we don't need to masquerade as a Mac.
    I am not sure if I understand what I need to do. Can you please explain a little more completely.

Beans

Re: [Solved] Re: USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

Quote Originally Posted by torstenaf View Post
    Hi, I can submit checks to USAA through Firefox on Linux. Here's how...

1. Install Plugin
    I tried using IcedTea plugin, but it didn't work (?). So I used the sun java 6 plugin.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
    2. Install User Agent Switcher
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

3. Restart Firefox

4. Add New User Agent
    user agent icon --> User Agent Switcher --> Options --> New --> New User Agent ...

5. Enter New User Agent Information
    In the popup dialog box, delete all pre-filled entries and insert the information below.

Description:
    Code:
    FireFox 1.5.0.3 (Mac OSX)
    User Agent:
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060426 Firefox/1.5.0.3
    6. Restart Firefox

7. Change to user agent Firefox 1.5.0.3 (Mac OSX)

8. Navigate to the USAA deposit at home page:
    https://www.usaa.com/inet/bank_depos...[atsn]home

9. You should now see

instead of the usual nonsense

10. Click Get Started

11. You'll see this message:

12. Enter Info
    Click Next, select account from dropdown and type in check amount, then click Next.

13. Scan Check
    Scan the check with xsane or similar software (see step 11). USAA for the Mac (and us Linux/Ubuntu users) requires the user to pre-scan the check and upload them, rather than the Windows method where the check is directly scanned into the applet.

- greyscale
    - 200dpi
    - signature on right side
    - front & back

14. Upload Scanned Check Images
    Java will start, asking whether or not you trust the vendor of the software. Say "Run". Above the applet window is a browse button. Load each side of the scanned check, so on and so forth.
    Does this still work? Tried today to no avail Perhaps USAA updated their website to require more than just a new User Agent now? Please let me know!!

Beans

OK, I figured out why it didnt work. Something must be getting set in the cookie when you log into the USAA website. If you change your User Agent post-login and try to access the Deposit@Home feature, you will be rejected. However, if you Log Off, then set your User Agent to any normal Mac OS X browser (Safari 3.x or Chrome 3.x), it should work! Yay Happy dance...

USAA still needs to fix their website. It is like one line of code to fix this on their end. I don't see why they want to reject Linux customers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For some reason when I try it doesn't like my scans. I even did everything at 300dpi.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

Go to Synaptic Package Manager, de-select the Linux versions of Java you have, and then search for sun-java6-bin, sun-java6-jre & sun-java-plugin then click Apply and install it, then check the USAA Banking website. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have sun-java6 and it is activated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi everyone. I've managed to (finally) get deposit@home working with the instructions here (using the user agent switcher).

Please join me in sending a message to USAA to resolve this. This is a significant problem that they can correct with a fairly trivial fix.

If you've got a moment, send them this message by logging into USAA and selecting "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page:

---

SUBJECT: Linux computer not allowed to use Deposit@Home

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

I am experiencing technical difficulties when accessing the USAA deposit@home service. More specifically, the USAA web site appears to deny USAA members access to the deposit@home service if they are not using a computer containing the Microsoft Windows or Apple OSX operating systems.

As a USAA member, I am one of many individuals within the USAA community who do not use Microsoft Windows or Apple OSX for online banking with USAA. I use a computer that meets all other requirements for using the deposit@home service. My computer is fully capable of interacting with the deposit@home service without any technical problems, with the exception that USAA specifically denies my system the ability to perform this essential banking activity.

As an otherwise satisfied USAA member, please consider modifying the deposit@home service to allow USAA members to use the service if they are using a Linux operating system (as opposed to exclusively allowing only Microsoft Windows operating system or Apple devices).

USAA appears to be working towards compatibility with the iPhone, Blackberry devices, and other methods for accessing deposit@home. As opposed to those active (and fantastic) developments, allowing USAA members who use Linux to deposit@home requires only a trivial change to the deposit@home web page (by simply adding Linux as an acceptable "user agent" section, alongside Microsoft Windows and Apple OSX).

Millions of users having already adopted Linux as their choice for computing platforms. With USAA leading the way with technological innovation and convenience, USAA and its members can tremendously benefit by further expanding deposit@home compatibility to the USAA linux user community.

Again, thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I look forward to seeing this technical issue resolved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I sent mine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: USAA Bank website doesn't like linux

I just received (as one would expect) a nice little template-style response from USAA via the site's email:

We appreciate your feedback regarding our Deposit@home service, We continually look for ways to improve our products and services so they are of the highest quality for our members. We will forward your feedback to the appropriate department. Thank you for taking the time to send your suggestion..

We value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs.

Thank you,
    Valerie Lozano
    USAA

Of course! =)

Thanks, lvleph. Normally, I'm not very optimistic about seeing a positive reaction from a large company. But USAA is one of the few financial institutions--let alone as a business of any sort--that I've actually got considerable confidence in for resolving this problem. With as many customer feedback surveys, questionnaires, and other efforts that they're always actively utilizing to give their members a warm&fuzzy, I think having a few members sending this clear message may hold some weight.

Please everyone, let them know that their banking should be penguin-friendly!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ricojonah View Post
    I just received (as one would expect) a nice little template-style response from USAA via the site's email:

We appreciate your feedback regarding our Deposit@home service, We continually look for ways to improve our products and services so they are of the highest quality for our members. We will forward your feedback to the appropriate department. Thank you for taking the time to send your suggestion..

We value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs.

Thank you,
    Valerie Lozano
    USAA

Of course! =)

Thanks, lvleph. Normally, I'm not very optimistic about seeing a positive reaction from a large company. But USAA is one of the few financial institutions--let alone as a business of any sort--that I've actually got considerable confidence in for resolving this problem. With as many customer feedback surveys, questionnaires, and other efforts that they're always actively utilizing to give their members a warm&fuzzy, I think having a few members sending this clear message may hold some weight.

Please everyone, let them know that their banking should be penguin-friendly!
    Well, we do own the company; don't forget that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast