Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .wtv files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

.wtv files

Windows 7 seems to record TV in a format called .wtv. ANyway to play these on Ubuntu? I tried VLC, mplayer and totem.

Beans

Re: .wtv files

Hi mr_raider,

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Windows 7 seems to record TV in a format called .wtv. ANyway to play these on Ubuntu? I tried VLC, mplayer and totem.
    I could not find any samples of this format, can you give any addresses for these?

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

http://w14.easy-share.com/1701207119.html

Another forum had this link...

(its 52mb)

Beans

Hi ThomasK,

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasK_45 View Post
    Thanks for that . The svn MPlayer / svn FFmpeg / vlc 1.0 rc2 could do nothing with this file. Perhaps when windows 7 comes out there might be some work on this format.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi all.

Any update with this?

I have a Media Center which records this format (Windows Vista), but I can't open it at all from any Ubuntu machine....

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

When in Windows right click on the recorded file and convert to dvr-ms. vlc can play this back but mplayer still struggles with it.

There is also something called MCEBuddy on its way to help with conversions to accesible formats, but you'll have to do all the work in Windows with that
    Last edited by Jose Catre-Vandis; January 31st, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is a new format for Windows Media Center. It has DRM from what I understand applied to it regardless if it is OTA TV Premium content, what have you. They had to release a new DRM scheme because someone cracked the previous one in order that people could have fair use of recorded television.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Arrow Re: .wtv files

Hi!

For those who are interested in this format, you can use the program attached (is a .jar file, just open it with java vm) to extract the contents of the .wtv file or convert it to another format.

It would be interesting if someone could create a .deb file out of this program.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi all, I see this thread's been around a while, just thought you'd like to know how I've had some success playing wtv and dvr_ms files in Ubuntu 12.04 lts 64bit on a netbook.

Using Ubuntu software centre installed VLC and linking the files via the right click menu> open with other application>vlc usually plays over my windows 7 wireless n network as long as there is a fast enough connection. (no conversion required but these files do take up a lot of space )

If I just see video but don't hear any sound, I try changing the audio track in the audio menu and usually get some success. If that doesn't work I just put it down to drm on the server.

I'll probably switch to a Mythtv server when I get compatible tuners. There seems to be a lot more on the fly options than Media Centre and the menus might respond quicker on this low power ion 330 dual core server.
    Hope this helps someone else out and thanks to those who've already posted.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: .wtv files

Quote Originally Posted by aliendave View Post
    Hi all, I see this thread's been around a while, just thought you'd like to know how I've had some success playing wtv and dvr_ms files in Ubuntu 12.04
    I'd like to chime in as well (apologies bumping an old thread) since this is the first result from Google when trying to see if "wtv" files will play in Ubuntu Linux.

I record my files via HDTV ATSC Antenna, Windows 7 Media Center and HDHomeRun Dual, and although larger files are slow to load over the network, I'm happy to say Ubuntu 12.10 x64 + VLC plays them fine (Video as well as audio). VLC also seems to be able to process them well too. There are performance issues with Flash in Linux, but this 1080i recording seems to play great. Attached is a screenshot.

-Tres

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast